Chapter Twenty-Three

Cassandra

"They're gone!"

All heads turn to the entrance where the jubilant cry came from. One of the vampires, Eric, claps his hands together, jumping over the railing into the common room. The room explodes into action and questions. Judging by the grin on his face and the fact that he emerged from outside, I'm fairly sure they refers to the indomitable military guarding Heaven's Gate.

Seated at the table, Damien has his attention on his hand, listening carefully to Elijah's descriptions while attempting to trace the symbol that reflected from the citrine I'm wearing. Instructing purely from memory, Elijah offers precise details in a quiet manner to keep the rest of our living mates from intruding.

"A triangle? Here?" Damien's pen marks a location within the carefully placed swirls. "Are you certain?"

"Quite," Elijah answers.

"You saw this in a reflection? Of candlelight, no doubt?" Damien's hesitance has grown considerably ever since Elijah insisted there were two lines, forked into each other. Damien glances my way to receive further encouragement, which I give. Elijah has described what we witnessed in the bedroom perfectly.

The only difference here is that he recognizes the shape. None of us can.

With blind eye, listening to Elijah, Damien traces what he's asked to. Around us, the room is emanating a sense of triumph after hearing Eric explain how he himself witnessed the military pack up and seal their gates. If only for the time being, these people now have a chance to leave this place without detection. With a dormant mountain, there will be no need for experimentation for some time.

Even now, moments after hearing the news, people are packing their belongings.

I stand as Jiayi approaches our table, notably calmer than I've ever seen him. I squeeze his arm with a smile and he pulls me into an embrace. "I'm so glad for you all."

"Years, Cassandra. Years, they've lived in hiding."

"Living above will not be easy," I warn him reluctantly, pulling back to judge his reaction. "You still need to be careful."

"Of course. We plan to head east, together."

That shocks me. "You won't go back to your own cities? Towns?"

"We are family now. We are united in our desire to remain a community." He smiles softly. "A person is always in need of a family, as you well know."

Hearing Damien's pen settle and his exchange of the paper from his hands to Elijah's catches my attention. Elijah's eyes thoroughly scan the drawing before meeting mine, flashing me the sketch, seeking my approval.

I nod, seeing no difference. Damien has captured Elijah's words perfectly.

Elijah extends his arm towards Damien, clasping the nape of his neck with an endearing squeeze. "This is exactly what we needed. Thank you."

Damien's pride is shown in his returning smile, enjoying any recognition from this man he can't help but worship. "Of course, father... I pray she will be able to decipher it."

"Let us hope." Elijah releases him, standing. Bringing the paper, he approaches Jiayi and me, glancing between us. "I must send this to someone in Italy, someone who can find the origin of this symbol."

Jiayi takes the paper, looking it over. "You say this will play a part in your journey?"

"It might be the answer we've been looking for, yes."