* ENTRY 7

I rushed to Caterina's side and carefully turned her over. She was alive, but her wounds were severe. Blood cascaded over my arms as I held her. "Caterina! No!"

Caterina sat up with a cough. "Take me to the pool."

Dragging Caterina's body with all my might, I finally lowered her to the edge of the basin. Her blood sullied the crystal water. "Please don't die," I pleaded.

The foul water slowly turned azure once more. Caterina smiled. "In time, these waters will heal my wounds. You've done well. Your plumage shines like your eyes, Pteridophia."

Something had changed. I had the same tingling sensation rushing across my skin even though I was no longer in the pool. I peered down at my arms and saw they were covered in tiny pin feathers, each tipped in green before fading to a black shaft. My skin had turned jet black as well, seemingly head to toe. Warmth spread across my back. I flexed my muscles and a pair of wings spanned out on either side of me and twitched. "Oh my god."

"You are Aloja," said Caterina, her voice weak. "You always have been. Your body had long forgotten its magick. The pool has restored truth to your flesh."

"How?" I asked, feeling myself shake. "How could this be?" But I already knew.

"You are my daughter," said Caterina with a gentle smile. "I wished to shield you from our terrible fate, but my efforts were futile. Destiny has returned you to me and there is no use in denying the truth. You are my child and all our kind are dying...even you." A tear streaked her cheek.

I shook my head. "But the shipwreck. The--"

"All lies. Your adoptive father is your true father. He once dared the plateau, just as you have. I took him to the pool to devour him, but instead, I fell in love. He was strong of mind and body. Full of a resolve worthy of an Antecedent. Sadly, we were only together for a short time."

The tears returned. "Father. He's...he knew the truth? All this time?"

"I made him swear to never tell you. It was the only way we could keep you safe. He was right there beside you when you woke up in the sand." My mother stroked my cheek tenderly. "If you only knew how many times I wanted to return to you and your father, but it was impossible. My magick was no longer strong enough to shield your presence from my sisters, unless I remained atop the cliff. I apologize for stealing your memories...but they will return in time."

I sobbed and pounded my hands on the stone floor, cracking it. "Why so many lies? Why couldn't you at least leave me with the ability to communicate with the other children in the village?"

"You learned to speak and read in a land far from this place. I am sorry if it made you lonesome."

My head was spinning. "Where did you take me?"

My mother coughed. She was still in great pain. "Back then, the Aloja were five. To breed with a human was forbidden. Had any of my sisters learned of my indiscretions, they would have slaughtered your father and devoured you for your magick. I fled with you to a land to the north known as England."

"England?"

"Yes, to a place called Cornwall. In many years past, I saved a wayward faerie from drowning in the Aloja's pool. She had ventured far from home, trying to find a way to restore magick to her suffering clan. Knowing her quest was in vain, I escorted her back to her people. The grateful faerie folk offered me help whenever I should need it. When you were born, I returned to Cornwall and took refuge with you beyond the Mên-an-Tol stones. The faeries there helped raise you. They tutored you in the ways of magick. In time you will remember all of this."

I was stunned. "How long did we stay there?"

"Just a few years. The brood was growing suspicious of my absence and my magick was weakening. I had no choice but to return to Tossa de Mar and hide you in plain sight beyond the obsidian gate."

I hugged my mother. "I'm so sorry. But I'm here now. I won't leave you."

"You must," said my mother, pushing me away. "Despite the mystic energy of this pool, I cannot survive long without fresh magick, and neither can you. One by one, I've watched the mightiest of my siblings weaken and die on the physical plane. You must go, seek out one of the Antecedents and take their magick from them, by force if necessary. It is the only way the Aloja can survive."

I stood up straight and clenched my fists. My wings shuddered beside me, stirring up the dust. "I'll do it. I'll save you, Mother."

"You are brave, but you are not ready," my mother rasped. "Your journey must begin when you are of age, when your magick is at its strongest. Come here, child."

I knelt to my mother again. "Yes?"

"Conceal your plumage and return to the village. Live life as a human until your 20th year. Only then will you remember your path and begin your journey. Fare well, Pteridophia. I'll love you, always."

Before I could react, my mother's hand was upon my forehead. A blinding light washed over me and my mind exploded with impossible colors.

I woke up in my old bed with my father standing over me. I yawned, anticipating yet another day of stripping cork from the oaks, followed by an evening of studies. I had no memory of the plateau above the cliffs and no desire to explore its secrets. I had forgotten everything—even my mother.

Then, in my 20th year of life, it all came rushing back.