* ENTRY 13

My muscles trembled with pain as I pulled my bleeding body through the moonlit clearing. I finally broke through the tree line and waited patiently near the railroad tracks until I was able to hoist myself onto a passing train. After arriving in Saint Petersburg, I took refuge in the bell tower of a cathedral. It took several days for my wounds and frostbite to heal, even with the Leshi's stolen magick surging through my veins. Still, I knew such unbelievable power would barely suffice to save my mother, much less myself.

Three days later, I journeyed back to Spain. My heart filled with hope when the castle turrets of Mt. Guardí revealed themselves on the horizon. At last, I was back in Tossa de Mar. At last I was home.

I landed atop the plateau only to find the obsidian gate lying in jagged pieces. Something was wrong.

"Daughter of Caterina Enganxa, you have proven yourself formidable."

I turned around with a hiss, my talons bared and ready to slash. Nothing--magickal or otherwise--was going to stop me from saving my mother. The air suddenly left my throat and my limbs went limp. I collapsed, paralyzed against a twisted oak, my eyes pointed up at my attacker. "A...Amma," I managed to whisper.

"Yes, I am Amma of the Dogon. You will address me as Queen Suzerain, second point of the Antecedent Star." The queen's scarlet robes tossed in the breeze, each edge embroidered  with gold. A bejeweled silver lanyard kept her wild curls suspended away from her face, revealing piercing eyes and strong features. Golden freckles streaked across her ebony cheeks like a band of stars.

I stared up at the tip of the massive spear held to my face. In bending reality, I had overstepped my bounds and brought the wrath of the Antecendency directly upon me.

The queen lifted her weapon away from me. "Your interdimensional attack transported poor Danica to the jungle of South America, of all places. Her mind was left in tatters. She'll be no use to anyone now."

I was secretly impressed with myself. "I...I regret nothing," I spat out with defiance.

Queen Suzerain laughed. "Honestly, I never liked that Leshi. You're much more interesting. As a half-breed, you're more powerful than a normal Aloja."

Normal. Had I not been paralyzed, I would have laughed.

"Your adventures greatly amuse me. I think I may have use for you. Remain calm and I will release you."

"Fine," I sputtered. The queen snapped her fingers and I fell to my side, searching for breath. As soon as I was able, I rose to my feet to stare down the creator of the universe. "I need to get to my mother in the azure pool. I won't let you hold me here."

"Another pitiable creature. I'm afraid I have bad news."