Chapter Two: Like An Ordinary Family

It was nearing midnight by the time Alex got back home. He'd spent almost all his money on Taxis that day, but it was worth it just to see Charlie. Once he got to the front door of the house, it was locked. So he unlocked the door with his set of keys and went inside. There were no lights on in the house, and it was silent. So he tried his best not to make too much noise, avoid the risk of waking anyone up. As he locked the door and prepared to sneak up the stairs, the lights in the hallway came on all of a sudden. Making Alex jump, along with the sudden appearance of his mum. Stood there, in the hallway, in her dressing gown. Arms crossed, and not with the happiest expressions on her face.

ALEX
Jeeze! Are you trying to give me a heart attack?

AILEEN
What time do you call this?

ALEX
Sorry?

AILEEN
It's half eleven Alex. Where've you been? I've been worried sick!

ALEX
Yeah, sorry. Charlie needed help getting settled in and that-

AILEEN
Well, you could've at least called or text to let us know. Did you not get any of my messages?

Alex looked at his phone and saw the numerous text messages and voice mails from his mum.

ALEX
Oh... Sorry, I must've turned my phone off or something.

AILEEN
Why on earth would you do that?

ALEX
Oh, I dunno. Maybe because of the constant texts and calls beforehand? I'm not a kid.

AILEEN
Well, you're back home safely, so that's the main thing. But in future, could you please let me know what your plans are.

ALEX
Yeah, sorry.

AILEEN
So, how was Charlie then? Did she have a nice time?

ALEX
Yeah, she's fine.

Alex made his way upstairs, whilst texting Charlie. Letting her know he'd got back home. Barely even looking at Aileen.

AILEEN
Night then(!)

Aileen shook her head and went into the kitchen to get herself a drink before going back to bed.

As Alex got to the top of the stairs and made his way to his bedroom. As he was approaching the door, he got a text back from Charlie. He smiled and entered his room, got himself ready for bed and went to sleep.

The next day, Aileen and her husband, Steven, had to nip out rather early in the morning for a last-minute business meeting. Alice was already up and at it before they set off, so she was fully aware of the situation. Alex was fast asleep in bed at this point. Aileen and Steve left the house at about 8:00 am. Leaving Alice with the whole house to herself. But she wasted no time and decided to go awake Alex up. Partly because she was hungry, and wanted some breakfast, but also because she was bored. She sneaked into his bedroom, Alex was still asleep at this point. She smirked, and slowly snook over to Alex. who was lying on his side, facing the doorway. He slowly opened his eyes, to the sight of Alice's face directly in front of him. Staring, and waiting for him to wake up. 

ALICE
Hello!

The rude awakening startled Alex, causing him to jump out of his skin. Making Alice laugh.

ALEX
Alice!

ALICE
Morning!

ALEX
What're you playing at?!