!!!PROMPT!!!

She looked back and smiled. "I would love to go with you. The adventures we had were positively," she inhaled, "amazing, but I can't."

Two voices rang out, their childish amusement loud and clear.  "They need me. They are so small and... and"
"It's okay." They replied. "I understand. Protecting those who cannot defend themselves..."
"I love you." She whispered as the children opened the door.
Silent tears fell from two pairs of eyes as they went their final, and separate, ways.
Years later, a boy picks up a book, one he remembers his mother would look at sadly before returning to what she was previously doing.

He opens it, and turns the page.

He read and read, each word drawing him in closer and closer. The ending coming nearer and nearer.

He paused though. A letter hidden between the pages. Opening it he realized what it was.

He continued to read.

When the last word was read, when the understanding he held was undenied, he looked up to see a figure.

The person looked different then how they were described, appearing older.
"Drop everything and come with me." He interrupted. The character blinked in surprise but followed him as asked.

His mother went to greet him but gasped in surprise. "You're..."

"Mom, you can go now." He ran over scooping up the shorter woman in a hug. "My brother and I, we're adults now. You don't have to stay." He whispered in her ear.

"But.."

"Come with me." His mother and him looked back at the other in the room. The window behind him allowing the sun to shine brightly into the room. "Come with me, like we planned before. You and me forever."
The woman looked at her son.

"Are you sure?" He nods. "I love you, and your brother."

"Go mom." He let go. "Be who you were always meant to be."
His mother walked over and grabbed the figure's hand.

"I never stopped loving you." She states, interlocking their fingers.

"Nor I, for you." He watched as they climbed out the window, looking younger and happier than he'd seen his mother in years. Silent tears slipped down as he clutched the letter tightly.

'I'll never stop loving you, even if we must part. You'll always be in my heart.'