Twenty-One: Learning Pt. 1

"ARE YOU HAPPY HERE?" Eddie murmured, the warmth of the sun filtering through his drapes. Richie turned his head blissfully, eyes wandering over Eddie's face. "Are you crazy? Of course I am," he assured, palm reaching over to caress Eddie's cheek. The boy smiled and Richie returned it, staring into Eddie's honey colored irises. "You're so pretty," Richie commented, "and I'm so in love with you. So much it hurts." Eddie's cheeks broke out into a watery smile, eyes twinkling. "I'm so in love with you too," Eddie whispered, "everything." Richie grinned. "Everything," he agreed, leaning in to kiss Eddie's perfect lips.
  It was a chaste, slow kiss, but it erupted butterflies into Richie's stomach regardless. The taste of toothpaste and cherry chapstick exploded on Richie's tastebuds and he smiled, leaning forward to kiss his boyfriend again but was swerved. "You have morning breath, dumbass," Eddie groaned, "brush your teeth first." Richie pouted and showed Eddie his puppy eyes, but the boy didn't budge- so, with great reluctance- Richie finally climbed out of bed to brush his teeth. "How'd you sleep?" Richie called from the bathroom, foamy toothpaste in his mouth. He spat it out in the sink, lazily washing it out with water and setting his toothbrush down.
"Perfectly knowing that you're safe," Eddie replied, stretching his tan arms above his head. Richie grinned and flopped back onto the boy's mattress, which they practically shared since Richie slept in Eddie's room more than his own. "Oh, my love," Richie swooned, "you're too much." Eddie rolled his eyes but secretly loved the nickname, batting long eyelashes at Richie- he wanted something. "Would you be a dear and fetch me some water? I'm dying of thirst," Eddie feigned dramatically, resting his hand on his forehead and falling back in a fainting fashion. Richie shook his head and laughed, a sound that sang deliciously in Eddie's ears. "Anything for you, lord Kaspbrak," Richie bowed, dashing down the stairs quickly to pour some water for Eddie. He heard the tiny pattering of feet on the wood above him, meaning that Eddie had most likely gotten up. Retreating from the kitchen and back into Eddie's room, Richie tiptoed across the carpet in hopes to scare Eddie, who was combing his hair in front of the mirror in his bathroom.
  Stopping behind the door, Richie set the water down on the floor and jumped out, yelling "boo!" Unfortunately, Richie scared Eddie a bit too much and the asthmatic turned and punched Richie in the nose, yelping "get out!" Richie pulled away quickly, clutching his nose in pain. "Ow, you short-stack leprechaun!" he cried, and Eddie glared at him with eyes that portrayed slight guilt. "You shouldn't of done that! You know I'm jumpy!" Eddie attempted, and Richie scoffed. "Yeah, yeah," Richie muttered, pushing his way into the bathroom to survey the damage. For a moment, his mind flashed back to images of his father- his abuser. White, hot flashes of pain appeared in his mind and he cringed instinctively, causing Eddie to take a hesitant step towards him.
  "Are you okay?" he whispered, and Richie quirked his mouth up in a small smile. "I will be," he replied, "I'm... Still learning." Eddie nodded slowly and wet a washcloth with cold water, gently guiding Richie to the toilet seat. "Sit," he instructed, and Richie did, plopping down onto the white plastic. Dabbing Richie's nose gently, Eddie ran his hand through the raven-haired boy's curls. "I'm sorry," the asthmatic murmured, caressing his fingers against Richie's forehead. "It's.. Alright," Richie sighed, "I shouldn't of done that. You are jumpy." Eddie grinned slightly and continued to press the washcloth to Richie's nose tenderly, all the while Richie cherished the touch of Eddie's skin to his.
  "Does it feel any better?" Eddie asked, and Richie nodded. Now it was only a dull pain, a slight discomfort in his nasal area. "Great," Eddie said in earnest, stepping on his toes to kiss Richie's lips, which tasted crisp and minty against his own. Pulling away too soon for Richie's preference, Eddie leaning forward to wrap his arms around Richie's waist and snuggle into the boy's chest. "God, you're so warm," Eddie said, words muffled by Richie's shirt- an oversized red, cotton shirt, which fit Richie perfectly; it was Eddie's dad's when he was alive. Sometimes, Eddie tried to envision Frank wearing that shirt, spinning Eddie around and laughing, like the good times. However, Eddie was too little to remember much about him, and it frustrated the asthmatic.
  "Everything," Richie whispered for the second time that morning, and Eddie smiled. "Everything," he replied, his curls tickling Richie's neck. "Does mom know that I've been sleeping in your room?" the taller boy asked cheekily, and frowned immediately. Eddie pulled back, expression unclear. "What'd you say?" he queried, and Richie swallowed. "Mom," he said slowly, and Eddie broke out into a toothy smile. "That's good! She'll love that," he cheered, and Richie's heart stopped hammering. "Do you think so?" he asked insecurely, scratching the back of his head- it was an anxious habit that was slowly dying down. Eddie's eyes twinkled. "Of course I do!" he exclaimed, turning in a pivot to grab his comb. "Now, if you'll excuse me, I have some more brushing to do," Eddie said, wiggling his eyebrows at himself in the mirror. Richie sighed.

  "This kid," he muttered and walked out of the bathroom.

(I AM SO, SO SORRY THAT THIS IS SUPER SHORT! THERE IS TWO PARTS AND PART TWO WILL MOST LIKELY BE THE END! I'D LIKE TO THANK ALL OF YOU FOR OVER 2K READS. I AM BEYOND GRATEFUL AND ECSTATIC THAT MY WRITING APPEALS TO YOU.)