Twenty-Two: Learning 2/2

"SO WHAT'S YOUR FAVORITE PART ABOUT LIVING WITH EDDIE?" Ben asked Richie curiously, light brown eyes twinkling underneath the stars. The losers had organized a party, not too big but not too small. It was hosted at Bev's aunt's house, where Lindsay allowed them to have alcohol (safely) and listen to rowdy rock 'n' roll music. Now, "Come As You Are" played in the background, the house rumbling from her bass-boosted speakers.
  "Everything," Richie sighed, listening carefully for the whoops of a fiery and drunk Eddie Kaspbrak, who danced up against Bev boldly. He felt a bit flushed, the alcohol and Eddie's dirty dancing glitching his system. "But if you were to choose one specific thing, what would it be?" Ben pressed, staring up at the sky. He was neither drunk nor high, being the designated driver of the group. "Being so close to him," Richie hummed, smiling as memories of cheeky mornings and late night cuddles smothered his cloudy brain.
Richie turned his head to peer at Ben from the side, not surprised to see him blushing red. "And Bev?" he asked, knowing he was opening up a floodgate of emotions. All at once, Ben began to spit things out. "She's so energetic all of the time- she never ever gets tired. Her eyes remind me of the ocean. Isn't that crazy? And she smells so good, like pumpkin spice and cinnamon. Some days, she even wears the apple-candy perfume I bought her for Valentine's Day. We watch movies all of the time, but I can't really ever focus because I'm only looking at her; her reactions, the way her eyes widen when something shocking happens. She's just... Perfect," Ben rambled, and Richie listened dutifully. "Yeah. Bev's pretty awesome," he yawned, and Ben smirked. "Yeah. So is Eddie," he agreed, stretching his arms and resting them behind his head.
"What do you think will happen after graduation?" Richie asked, words muddled by intoxication. Ben considered this carefully. "I think Beverly and I will move to California. She wants to start her own clothing line," he laughed, imagining her sewing fabrics together, concentration stuck on her facial features. "And what about you?" Richie persisted, "What do you want to do?" Ben smiled shyly. "I think I want to be an architect. Build things nobody's ever seen before- things so bizarre people would need evidential proof that it's real." Richie grinned at this. "Build a giant statue of me and they'll be amazed," he joked, and Ben chuckled lowly, shaking his head. "Where do you think your life will lead you?" Ben asked quietly, and Richie felt his mood damper. "I.. I don't know," he said honestly, and he felt Ben place a hand on top of Richie's in a friendly, comforting way- a way only Ben would be capable of doing. That's okay," Ben said, "you have many talents. Just think of all the options!" Richie snorted, laughing sarcastically. "Okay, name one," he dared, and Ben rolled his eyes. "For one, you have the best sense of humor I've ever seen. No matter how many times Stan or Eddie will tell you to shut up, whenever you leave they'll laugh up a storm over your jokes," he praised, "and you've got a wonderful singing voice. I've heard your vocals, man, and you've been blessed. And, by the way, you've got good people skills. You could ease the tension in a crowd as easily as slicing hot butter with a knife. It just comes naturally to you."
Richie's heart was soaring, a feeling he'd only felt around Eddie, usually. "Do you really mean all of that?" Richie sniffled, wiping a single tear with his index finger. Ben nodded, eyes saying more than his words could. The leaves crunched behind them and Richie lifted his head to peek- it was Eddie, dressed in Beverly's white sweatshirt and the plaid, pink skirt he'd bought while with the spoken-of girl. "Hi, Eddie Spaghetti," Richie greeted, opening his arms to allow his love to sit in his lap. Eddie waved with fluttering fingers and plopped gratefully onto Richie's jeans, cuddling a heated face into the taller boy's neck. "Never let me drink again," Eddie muttered, his head swimming with drowsiness and muddled thoughts.
  "I don't know.. You're fun when you're drunk," Richie teased, causing Eddie to draw his head back sharply, swatting Richie on the forehead. "What's that supposed to mean, dipshit?" he grumbled, and Richie rubbed his skin where the boy had hit. "Jesus, Eddie," he muttered, and smiled. "You're let loose when you drink," he explained, and Eddie swatted him again. "Are you saying I'm uptight?" Eddie asked, bloodshot-eyes narrowing to slits. Richie repents his last few words. "No, no, no," he said quickly, "you're just... Relaxed." Eddie's eyes widened back to normal but Richie could still practically see steam coming out of the boy's ears.
  "How is Beverly handling her alcohol?" Ben asked cheekily, and Eddie's anger practically melted. "She's dancing it up, Benny-Boy. Living the teenage girl's dream," he wooed, twirling his finger in the air to enhance the sarcasm. Ben simply smirked and lie back down, studying the many stars and planets that lay embedded in the dark sky. Richie kept his mouth shut, too afraid to set Eddie's short temper off again. "Are you stupid or are you going to take me home and kiss me senseless?" Eddie snapped, and Ben's cheeks flushed, whereas Richie remain speechless. "I think I'll go find Bev," Ben rushed, getting to his feet and pacing back into the house. As soon as Ben had disappeared behind Lindsay's red door, Eddie pushed Richie back into the grass, holding the collar of his shirt in two tiny fists. "Woah there, pard'ner," Richie breathed, and Eddie rolled his eyes and connected their lips, an explosion of stars and galaxies in Richie's brain.
  Eddie tasted of expensive vodka and citrus, possibly from the sangria Stan had brought. Richie thought it was a wonderful combination, one that balanced the aftertaste of rum and tequila shots that he'd downed not even an hour ago. Moving urgently, ardently, Eddie moved his lips down Richie's neck, down to the boy's collarbones and back up below his ear, breath whisping the skin there. Fingers tangled in Richie's curls and chest breathing heavily, Eddie kissed Richie with all of his absolute might, leaving Richie seeing black spots in his vision from lack of oxygen. He liked that.
  "You're so beautiful," Eddie complimented, kissing the corner of Richie's mouth. "And perfect," he continued, crushing his lips to Richie's. "And sweet," Eddie murmured, pressing his forehead against Richie's cold one. "You're freezing," Eddie commented, and Richie frowned. "You're like a heat radiator," he griped, hands running down dangerously close to Eddie's behind, "you're so warm all the time, even when it's fucking fifty degrees outside." The brunet smiled and held Richie's face in his hands, bringing him closer and kissing him gently. "I'm sorry for overreacting earlier," Eddie whispered, hands sliding beneath Richie's shirt, giving the taller boy goosebumps.
  "It's okay. You're sexy when you're mad," Richie smirked, a shit-eating grin taking hold of his lips. Eddie wrinkled his nose. "I'm nowhere near sexy, smooth-stuff," he snorted, "but nice try." Richie bit his lip and tried to hold back his smile. "I wanna talk to you," he whispered, "about the future. Our future." Eddie's expression turned to a serious one, eyebrows knitting together. "Okay.." he trailed, pulling away slightly and readjusting himself on Richie's lap. "I just.. I just think that we should, like, travel far away from here, you know? Escape this place," Richie spoke, "and we can live somewhere crazy, like Florida, or maybe even Nevada. I don't know yet, but somewhere nobody would think to see two outsiders from Derry, Maine." Eddie's cheeks had gradually broke out into a smile, a wanderlust sparkle in his eyes.
  "I think that's a wonderful idea," he insisted, "and I'd love that, so as long as.." Richie frowned. "So long as what? You're killing me here, smalls." Eddie scrunched his nose up and laughed. "So long as we get a dog," Eddie finished, "a Pomeranian. And we name her Floo-Floo." Richie's eyes widened. "Floo-Floo?" Richie asked slowly, eyebrow raised questioningly, "Where the hell'd you get that name?" Eddie crossed his arms defensively. "I think it's a fitting name for a dog of such chicness and style," he pouted, and Richie giggled.

  "Floo-Floo it is," he shrugged, and Eddie hugged him tight.

  THIS IS THE END! I AM SO, SO HAPPY THAT YOU'VE ENJOYED THIS STORY AND HOPE THAT YOU WON'T HATE ME FOR ENDING IT! HOWEVER, THERE WILL BE AN EPILOGUE UPLOADED SOMETIME IN THE NEAR FUTURE! <3 I WANT TO THANK YOU ALL FOR NEARLY 3K READS. I WILL BE PUBLISHING A NEW REDDIE STORY OR POSSIBLY ANOTHER SHIP FROM IT / ST SOON. STAY TUNED! <3