Chapter 5: fool me once, fool me twice

Y/N went downstairs to take a break and Kayla followed her. Oh no.

"Let's try something out, shall we?" Kayla muttered menacingly. She stopped halfway down the stairs and let go of all her limbs like a rag doll. A big thud, small thuds and a scream, like lightning followed by the inevitable boom.

"Ow!" Screamed Kayla, the kids and Albert running down the stairs. Adam ran to the bottom and stood by Kayla. Y/N's face was covered in horror.

"What happened?" Albert asked.

"It was Y/N!" Kayla wailed as Albert went to her side, "she pushed me for no reason!"

Albert glared at Y/N, eyes locked with hers with an unbelievable expression glossed over his fragile face. "How could you? Why?"

"I didn't!" Y/N broke through the lump in her throat. "I swear!"

Albert picked up Kayla, much to her amusement. Kayla sharply glanced at Y/N as she struggled to speak. "Adam and Kira, please go get some pillows. Zander and Danny, go get a couple of blankets, please." He then went to the kitchen to get ice.

"He doesn't know I framed you! You're cornered," Kayla said softly. Quiet, yet scary.

Albert was close by that point and slowly put the ice on Kayla's leg.

"That's not even where it hurts!"

He was thinking, realizing, wondering. He glanced at Y/N as the kids showed up with the supplies for Kayla. "Prop her head up, lay the blankets on her," Albert added. He glanced at Y/N again, but it seemed this one lasted a millisecond more.

Y/N had had enough. She turned and walked out. Kayla smirked at herself when Albert wasn't looking. Adam looked at her, and looked at Kira, both with worried expressions.

Y/N left the house. She knew full well it was snowing but took no boots and took no coat. She sat on the first step of the house. Her socks became instantly soaked with the melting snow as it make contact with her warmth. Her hair filled with the delicate flakes from the sky and her cheeks rose colored. A small sob emerged from her purple lips and warm tears ran down her frozen face. The door opened behind her. She expected either a worried Adam to console her or a sneaky Kayla to laugh. But it was neither. She heard Kayla yell, "My blanket!" before the door shut tight.

"Y/N," she heard her own name in the most familiar voice.

Albert sat next to her with a thick wool blanket around him. He put an arm around Y/N, the blanket with it. A rush of warmth and comfort ran through Y/N like a kitten being saved from a rainy day. Albert fully expected Y/N to kick and scream like she did in the bathroom, and so did Y/N, but she stayed still. She leaned on his shoulder and sniffled. Her heart beat. It said apologize. Her head throbbed. It said but Kayla. Her nose ran. It said we're hurt. Her mouth spoke.

"Albert.. I'm sorry,"

"What happened?"

"Well..."

Thankfully, the door opened, and even more thankfully, it was Adam. Y/N didn't need to listen to her heart and her head bicker.

"Kayla wants food,"

Adam went and took Albert's place as he got up and sighed to go tend to Kayla.

"Don't worry," Adam leaned against his sister.

"She's going down."