Un

I look up towards the stars wondering why. Why must I fall in love with a man who will never feel the way I do? Am I cursed secretly by Aphrodite? I thought she liked me to be honest.

Niklaus Mikaelson. A man whose steps are shadowed by none other than death itself. A forbidden fruit.

I would watch Klaus from afar, thinking he was cruel. No, not even the word cruel could describe it.  The Fates then sent the man my way, making me change my perspective entirely.

What he did was for his family. Now the man isn't perfect by any means either. The man has killed innocent people. And when he finally dies, he will be judged for that. But he has changed slightly, even if his siblings haven't seen that. The birth of Hope has softened him. He wants to be a good father. I see no fault in that.

My relationship with the Mikaelson family has gifted me some perks. One, obviously eye candy. Two, balls.

I am not the biggest fan of them, but I get to have a reason to dress up. In fact, I am at one right now which makes it all seem painful and cruel to me.

Bottom line: Klaus and Cami are cozying up to each other, and I feel like shit because of it. This is not fair to either as they do not know about my crush and he is not in a relationship. But it still hurts. Taking a deep breath, I leave the small balcony and head to the powder room to ensure my makeup is still good.

It is, thankfully, and I walk downstairs to the party once more. I stand mostly at the edge, being a wallflower of sorts. It is easier sometimes to observe. Then, Kol of all people comes to stand by my side.

"Now, I wonder why the most beautiful woman in the room stands alone?" He asks as he approaches.

"I am sorry, but there appears to be no one behind me so I must assume you are talking to me?" I say, adding a fancy tone to my voice.

"Indeed Ms. Moore. Your beauty lightens the room."

I can't help but blush at that. Kol is a flirt, a professional one at that, and one has to be careful to not fall for his charms. I look past the flirt to see Klaus kiss Cami before breaking it off and making eye contact with me. I break off my eye contact and feel a tear run down my face as I turn towards Kol.

"Hey. What's wrong?" Kol asks, concern in his voice.

"Just my stupid heart. I should have known better to let myself feel anything for him."

Truly, why did I expect anything else? Klaus is not going to fall for a demigod like me, and it is not safe anyway. I can't trust that he wouldn't lead me on for my abilities.

"Is it Kl-" I cut him off, not wanting to announce it to the many vampires in the room, and definitely not a specific hybrid?

"Yes. As much as I hate to seem rude, I must be heading home now. It is getting late and I don't want to be caught out alone at night."

"Allow me to walk you home,0" Kol says.

"No need. I ca-"

"I know you can Emilia, but I feel better knowing I walked you."

I know there is no escaping this. I just was going to shadow travel, but this works too I guess.

"If you insist."

I follow him to the door when Rebekah steps in our way.

"Where the bloody hell are you two going?" She asks.

"I am walking her home. She suddenly feels ill." He says to her, basically telling her about Klaus without saying the words.

"Kol stay, Emilia, come with me to my room and I'll walk you home and stay the night if you are alright. I know that will put a smile on your face." She says.

She is an amazing friend.

"That sounds good to me," I say.

She takes my arm and we head to her room facing no interruptions.

"So, I'll just grab a bag with some clothes and I'll be ready to go."

I wait in her room for exactly 39 seconds it takes her to speed around the room and grab what she needs. It's not like she doesn't already basically live at my house with an entire wardrobe and essentials. But she usually brings clothes from here over anyway.

"Let's go, shall we?"

We head out the back way instead of rejoining the party. We go in comfortable silence, to my relief. It is a short walk to my place and I only pause to unlock the door. She speeds us up to my bedroom.

"Sit on the bed while I change."

I have my back turned to her as we talk about the ball.

"Klaus is an idiot. He has someone who won't screw him over right in front of him. But no, he has to go to the stupid, malicious blonde."

"She has a college degree. I don't think she is stupid."

"She tries to screw Klaus over to his face. She is stupid. But he lets her."

"Because he loves her. That is one thing that stops me from being her."

"Well, he should rethink his relationship with her."

I laugh sadly. I wish it were that simple. Klaus loves Cami and doesn't me. Which is understandable. She has things I don't.

We change into pajamas before heading downstairs to find something on Netflix. We find a D-rated horror movie and instead of screams, laughter fills the house.

𖧷𖧷𖧷

I wake up with my face squished against my pillow and a note from Rebekah on the nightstand next to me. She had written to tell me she had gone home.

I sat up in my bed before running my hand through my hair. I pulled the covers back and got out of bed. If I didn't, I would go back to sleep.

I head to the kitchen and grab one of the bananas I have sitting in a fruit bowl. Good enough breakfast I suppose.

My phone rings and I see Klaus's name pop up on the Caller ID. Why must this happen to me?

"Hey Klaus," I say with a yawn at the end.

"Good morning, love. I noticed your absence towards the end of the ball and when I asked Rebekah, she gave me a death glare. Care to explain?" Klaus asked.

He deserves an answer but I don't want to go into it. Not right now.

"I got sick to my stomach. Rebekah thought you were tied to it when, in fact, I just got a bad case of food poisoning,"

"I hope you are feeling better. I was going to ask if you could babysit Hope for the day. But I can find someone else if you feel unwell."

"Of course, I can watch her. She is a literal angel. Give me an hour and I'll be over there."

"Thank you so much. See you then." Klaus hangs up the call and I sigh.

Why can't I fall in love with someone else? Anyone else?