Deux

Turns out I have a horrible sense of time. My 10-minute shower ended up being 40. Adding time to dry my hair and get ready, it's been 50 minutes. I simply just don't have time to walk.

I look around even in my house for any prying eyes before stepping into the shadows. The darkness envelops me as I chose where to come out at.

I step out of the shadows in an alley a block away from my true destination. I walk out of the alley and onto the sidewalk before quickly running to the house.

Once I walk to the house, my hand doesn't even make it to the door before it opens. Elijah stands on the other side of the doorway.

"Good morning Emilia. How are you feeling? Rebekah mentioned you felt ill last night."

"I am feeling much better today. Klaus called me and asked for me to babysit Hope."

Elijah looks confused for a moment.

"I believe Niklaus was confused. Hayley has Hope for today. But, please come in anyway."

"Thanks," I say as I walk in.

In the sitting room were Rebekah and Kol, bickering over something. There was a book on the table next to where Elijah usually sits, telling me the not-so-poor man was just trying to read over the noise.

Speaking of Elijah, he was wearing a frown towards his siblings, who had briefly paused to acknowledge my presence before beginning to argue again.

"I apologize for them. It appears they have forgotten their manners. As for Niklaus, I do believe he is up to something. I had not seen him since last night at the ball."

"He had called me about an hour ago to ask about me babysitting for the day. But, it sounds like he would have known Hope would not be here."

"We will know for sure his plans soon."

And soon we did. He came into the house dragging someone. He was dragging an angry Nico.

"What the hell! Nico!" I nearly yell.

"So that's his name. I found him lurking around your house."

"Why the hell were you in my house, Klaus!"

"I was searching for any sign of deception. Congrats, you passed."

I take a deep breath. I could feel the telltale signs of my powers coming into play and I took a breath before they could come into the spotlight.

"Klaus, release my half-brother. Nico, take about 5 large steps towards Elijah. He is the one in the suit."

Klaus releases him and Nico nearly runs towards Elijah. The mentioned man steps back, giving Nico room.

"Why didn't you say you had a brother?" Klaus asks accusingly.

"For his safety. At that, Nico, keep your mouth shut up before I get another reason to smack you. And Klaus, don't accuse me. Do I know all about you? No. And as good of a friend you are to me, I would expect nothing less. Plus, Neeks isn't a threat. He runs a funeral home."

Nico goes to speak but I give him a sharp glare.

"Nico, I do want to know why you were in my house," I say to him.

"Well, Will kicked me out. I kinda misplaced my wedding ring."

"Only you. I will deal with you later. Now if Klaus will be happy to oblige, I would like it if Nico and I can go back to my house. Klaus, when I have calmed down, I will have a chat with you in private. Likely, that will be later today or tomorrow. Right now, I don't even want to look at you."

When he doesn't say anything, I yank Nico's arm and push past him out the door. I feel the stares at my back but I ignore them, anger filling my very being.

᯽᯽᯽

Back at my place, I almost break. How could I have trusted him?. But I can't think about it right now. I need to deal with my idiot brother.

"Nico, why are you really here?"

He looks at me, a look on his face making me nervous.

"Being honest, I really don't know. Rachel has been having dreams about you and told me. If something is gonna happen to you, I want to be here to help."

"Nico, why didn't you tell me about this? How long has this been going on?"

"6 weeks, on and off. I was going to tell you straight away but then that man grabbed me by the neck when I stepped out of the closet I came in."

"Nico, I need you to trust me. That man is-"

"He's an original vampire. Father has told me."

"Figures. I am so sorry about this. I promised your sister I would protect you." I said, the latter more towards myself then Nico. I looked at my feet.

"You did not break her promise!" Nico nearly yells, causing my head to lift so quickly I nearly get whiplash.

A tear ran down his face and I stood up and pulled him into a hug. Bianca died because of me. He had blamed me for years and only 4 years ago did we begin to have a relationship. We still aren't close by no means though.

"I am sorry" I whisper.

He is only 19 (appearance-wise and aging-wise) but he has been through so, so much. He deserves a normal life.

Nico pulls away from me and goes up to the guest room I have.

Once he closes the door, I fall back onto the faux leather sofa. Closing my eyes, I try to calm down. Bianca's death and Klaus's betrayal both sting much and I am fighting back tears at the simple thought of it. I can't face Klaus tonight. I check my phone and see only a text from each of the Mikaelson family, minus Klaus, with an apology.

As bad as it sounds, it does make me feel a little bit better. I just can't believe Klaus did this. Well, no. I can. I just foolishly thought that I might somehow be an exception.

Clearly, I am not.