The Explanation

"So," Rhys turned his glittering eyes to his friend. "Who the fuck is she? And what the hell did she mean with what she said to Cassian?"

Azriel internally flinched, but just stared at Rhys as he said "She's my housekeeper," not a lie, but not the total truth as to who she was to him.

"Housekeeper? Really? I doubt the house is the only thing she is taking care of."

"Rhys," his tone was soft, dangerous.

"Fine, fine," the High Lord waved his hand. "You need to tell me who she is though, before tonight." Violet eyes watched him patiently, Rhys had always known how to give him space to speak.

"She is my housekeeper, she's staying in my spare bedroom which is why she was there so early in the morning," his High Lord continued to regard him curiously so he continued. "I don't always have time to cook when we're not dining together as a family so she makes breakfast and dinner when I'm eating at home." 

"How did an Illyrian female end up wandering around Velaris?" his voice was soft, trying so so hard not to push the shadow singer. Azriel rubbed his temples and told Rhys of how Loraina had arrived in Velaris.

"But you went to the Illyrian camp 3 months ago?" Rhys eyebrows narrowed, "You've been hiding her in your apartment for 3 months!"

"I haven't been hiding her, she lives in the city the same as any other, I just didn't tell you about her because of... well Cassian."

"Does she know about us?"

"She knows I am the High Lord's shadow singer, and that he has another Illyrian male in his service alongside me."

"And does she reject the Illyrians as her past?"

"I haven't asked her, although she didn't seem bothered by Cassian's appearance this morning." Their conversations, even personal, always went like this, perhaps a moment of awkwardness, before they found a comfortable pace and went about every thing in a very business-like manner.

"She didn't have a very high opinion of Illyrian males when she first arrived, from what you've told me about your first meeting."

"She settled down and was much more comfortable after a few days, when she understood I only let her into my home to be a housekeeper." A moment of silence passed, and Azriel sensed Rhysand gathering his courage for his next question.

"So she's not a prostitute?"

The spymasters eyes flared and the High Lord's courage buckled in response; as powerful as he was, Rhys also knew how strong Azriel's anger would make him. "No, she is not a prostitute," he hissed the last word.

"And you two have never.... gotten up to anything?" 

"What are you trying to suggest Rhys, you believe Cassian now?"

"I wouldn't be surprised if he was right," his voice was quiet, like soft velvet, almost silent in hope to avoid pissing off his spymaster any further.

"I've told you twice, she is my housekeeper who just happens to sleep in my second room." Azriel's voice was clipped, something that Rhysand had rarely heard; the shadow singer was trying to contain his anger.

"Calm down Az, I just don't want to walk into dinner tonight unprepared. I want her to be comfortable..."

"She may not even want to join us tonight, Cassian wasn't exactly welcoming this morning."

"I'll warn Cassian to keep his mouth shut," and Rhysand couldn't resist, "something I hope your little friend has also been doing if she wants to avoid any jokes from him."