ACT I

The sun slid languidly down the azure, unaware of the blushing rows of clouds watching from afar.

The golden light washed over the palace of the Sun Kingdom. It was an imposing work of baroque architecture, boasting symmetrical wings and a single domed tower, enthroned atop the highest cliff overlooking the sea. A young man stood, alone, in the palace courtyard. Yet, he was no ordinary man. A pair of pure white wings protruded from his upper back; these wings were the mark of the royal family, as well as the nobility, of the Sun Kingdom.

He leaned onto the stone ledge and gazed at the crashing waves down below. The incessant rumble filled his ears. Salty mist rising from the tumultuous ocean tickled his nose.

Absentmindedly he fiddled with the ring on his right hand. A deep blue gem crowned the golden band adorning his middle finger. Whenever it caught the light, one could notice nuances of purple and violet dancing within the jewel.

Something dark drifted past him. His body tensed; he had almost reached out to catch the stray feather. Silently, he stared as the black feather waltzed down the cliff.

He felt no need to search where it had come from, for the answer lay within his very being. Were he to remove the ring upon his finger, its powerful magic would lift off the two white wings he was so often praised for. In their place, there would be wings as black as a raven's plumage.

So many years ago, at the tender age of seven, his wings had poked their way through his skin. His mother, the Queen, had been elated at this once-in-a-lifetime event. It had been greatly anticipated by the King and Queen, who had both been blessed with majestic white wings. However, her mirthful face had soured upon seeing the first black feathers appear on their only child's back.

In the history of the royal family, none had had black wings. Since that fateful moment, he had been wearing a magic ring to conceal this embarrassing truth. He mumbled a few words – an incantation he had often repeated – and the wings disappeared into thin air.

The downside of this magic was the drain he suffered regarding his strength. If he were to wear it and fly, he would remain airborne for hardly more than a few minutes.

"Your Highness! Prince Taehyung," called a cheery voice from a distance behind him. He could recognize the owner of this voice anywhere. It belonged to his closest friend and childhood playmate, Jimin. His father was a duke as well as Prime Minister of the Kingdom.

Prince Taehyung turned around, his gaze falling on the high staircase that led up to the palace. No-one was there.

"Over here!"

To Taehyung's right, a pair of hands waved above a hedge. A few seconds later, Jimin came around a tall bush. His pale blonde hair bounced up and down with every step. As he got nearer, more unknown faces appeared by the hedge.

"Jimin," he said in reply, one dark eyebrow raised. "I see you've invited a few guests for my birthday?"

"They're the best musicians in town, Prince," said Jimin, his drooping eyes twinkling with good humor. He gestured at the dozen or so people, clad in the modest attire of common folk, following him. How had they snuck past the palace guards unnoticed? One could only wonder. Then again, having played hide-and-seek together for years, both he and Jimin knew every secret passage in the Royal Palace.

Prince Taehyung was celebrating his twenty-first birthday today. For the occasion of his coming-of-age, the royal palace would also hold a grand ball on the following day, which would coincide with midsummer. Today, he was free to make merry as he pleased.

When the musicians were a few paces away, they bowed deeply.

"May the Sun shine forevermore! Glory to His Highness!"