Eleven

Cooking dinner with Sam wasn't as bad as I had thought it would be. We kept the conversation to the bare minimum, but not out of awkwardness. We really felt comfortable in the other's silence, especially with another one of his records blasting through his record player's speakers, lost in our own thoughts. In contrast with the other two occasions in which we had been "intimate" with the other, we didn't feel uneasy around the other after kissing this time. Because all of the other times, we had something to blame it on to. The party, the silly game, the alcohol, the joint, the curiosity of knowing we had fucked but not remembering it. But this time, we had been sober. Sober from any kind of drug or drink. Sober from the peer pressure of a silly spin the bottle game. Sober from the need to remember the feeling of the other's lips, as we had already given in to the other that afternoon in which we had gotten high. This time, we had been perfectly aware of what we were doing, and we had let it happen, clearly showing that it was something we both desired.

- Well, that's it – Sam said after putting the last of our homemade pizzas in the oven. He wiped his hands with the dishcloth on the counter and turned to look at me – They should be done in 15 minutes or so – just as he threw the piece of cloth over the counter again, our front door opened. Ronnie and Carmen walked in, the first one holding a duffle bag that seemed to be about to explode.

- Hey there – she greeted as they both walked into the living room – It already smells great guys, is it pizza?

- Yes, your brother has a killer recipe – I smiled at her as I grabbed the dirty bowls we had used while cooking and started placing them on the empty sink – It's literally the best pizza I've ever tried.

- Oh, that's mom's recipe then – she beamed, while her friend remained silent right next to her – You should try her pizzas. Even if we follow each of her steps, her's always taste better. Sam, take her over next time there's a pizza night back at home, she'll love it.

- Um, sure – Sam said as I blushed. But deep down, we both knew he wouldn't invite me, not if it meant running into the rest of his family – I'm going to take a shower, do you mind to take the pizzas out once they are done? – he asked turning to me.

- Yeah, it's okay – I replied, earning a little squeeze on the shoulder from him before he headed towards the hallway.

- Hold on, where can Carm and I get changed? – Ronnie asked around, stopping her brother with her question.

- Oh, erm, let me grab some stuff and clothes from my room and it's all yours then. My mirror is kind of small but you can use the one in the bathroom after I'm done – Sam answered, scratching the back of his neck.

- You can get ready in my room, I don't mind it – I blurted out, making both girls turn to face me – You have a full-length mirror there, and you can grab some of my make-up if you need it. I'll be here cleaning up this mess so I won't be there anyways – I added shrugging as I continued to pile all the dirty cookware in the sink.

- Are you sure? – the female Kiskza asked, clearly looking more excited about changing in my room than her vanity-lacking brother's one. I nodded, and both girls smiled at me – Thanks a lot Gwen, you are the best – she said, before they both followed Sam out of the room.

- Wait – the boy said, walking back into the living room and looking at me – Can we talk later? – he asked, looking kind of nervous but still expectant.

- Sure – I smiled, trying to hide my own nervousness before he turned around to follow his sister and her friend who were already wandering around the apartment.