Hearing

Love at Divergent High

Chapter 53: Hearing

Tobias’ POV:

Black. That is all I can see. Black.

I don’t know where I am. All I know is that Marcus took me away from Tris, on the morning after we tried for another baby. He beat me, a lot. Then blackness. I don’t know how long I’ve been away from my wife, my daughter, and my friends. I just know pain. Pain and blackness.

I hear doors opening and closing. I hear beeping, probably from a heart machine thing that measures your pulse or whatever. That makes me guess that I’m in a hospital somewhere. But, why would Marcus bring me to a hospital? He hates me.

I don’t know how long I’ve been in hospital. But, I do know when Tris enters the room for the first time. I can smell her beautiful scent. And I can hear as the chair scrapes along the floor so she can sit with me. I can feel as she puts her hand in mine. I know it’s her, the hand is familiar, the scent is familiar, everything about her is familiar.

After god knows how long of her sitting there, silent, apart from the sniffling which tells me she’s crying, the door opens again.

“Are you his wife?” A nurse says.

“Yeah, is he going to be okay?” My Tris asks. Just by her voice I can tell she has been crying a lot.

“I don’t know. He’s been through a lot and he’s lost a lot of blood. But I think he’s going to be all right. He looks strong and I doubt he’s going to want to leave you and your daughter behind that easily. He’ll pull through.” The nurse says. It’s silent for a few seconds. “Why don’t you try talking to him? That often works with patients in his sort of condition. Tell him what’s been going on. Tell him how much you love him and miss him. Tell him any news that you might have or whatever. I’m sure he’ll wake up. You just have to help him a little bit.”

“Thank you.” Tris says.

“No problem. I’ll leave you two to it.” The nurse says.

I hear as the nurse leaves the room.

It’s silent again, but not for as long as it was last time.

“Tobias, I love you, so, so much. You are the most amazing man I’ve ever met. You’re the best husband I could have ever dreamt of having. You are the best father to our little girl. You’re an amazing friend to our friends. You’re kind. Selfless. Brave. Honest. And intelligent. I love you more than anything. I love you and will love you for infinity and beyond. Our little girl loves you as well, she needs her daddy to help her with homework and to warn off any boys that may fancy her. She misses you. She needs you. I’ve also missed you. I also need you. You know on her fifth birthday when we tried for another baby? Well, it worked. I’m pregnant again. Our new baby needs a daddy as well. I-I can’t d-do this w-without you T-Tobias. I need you. Our family needs you. So p-please don’t l-leave us, because we all l-love you. We all n-need you.” Tris says before starting to sob.