Chapter 6

Til death do us part.

A common vow for a couple in holy matrimony. It's been a couple of months since Zack had said those words to Rachel, and the pair were engaged. It was a warm and comforting feeling, something far more soothing than all those first steps in their relationship that they took together through the years.

Even though Rachel no longer believed in a God, Gray was still a traditional person, and requested if he could set up a short and private ceremony for the couple. God or no, it was Gray's duty as a Reverend to legitimize their marriage to some sort of higher deity. It felt a little awkward to Zack, but somehow he understood his intentions. It's somewhat a substitute to a wedding in a church, something that normal people did. A private ceremony, however, it would be good for the both of them - no random strangers, especially if they were going to smile around Zack, plus they wanted this moment all to themselves. This was their moment of normalcy, not the world's, no one else would interfere or sour the moment.

Rachel helped Zack dress for the occasion, nothing overly fancy, but still sharply dressed, and with his messy hair brushed back. She wore a simple, flowy dress, with a sheer overshirt to compliment the look. Gray had set up a type of altar for the couple to stand together, while he spoke prayers and sermons before the couple made their vows. Zack's heart was racing the entire time, an infamous killer like him, a loner most of his life, now giving it all to this woman that changed the world for him. A range of emotions stirred within himself - today, he feels like a normal person. Ray herself felt her own internal joy, like with her partner, she grew up in a dark place, unsure if she ever could feel emotions like this ever, or even deserve it.

"By the powers invested in me, I pronounce you man and wife."

The couple felt ecstatic, taking a couple deep breaths to calm their nerves, before closing the distance between themselves for a kiss to seal their vows of marriage. Man and Wife. This was the start of forever for the both of them.

-------------------------------

This is what the domestic life felt like, every single day the pair were at ease. They no longer lived in a world where they feared being caught or separated, and lived happily within the comfort of each other, feeling loved and needed. It was a life that neither one of them ever expected to have in their futures, but they would never object that this was the future they have now.

This was the honeymoon period, just the two of them in their little home, enjoying each other's company and intimacy. I wasn't just the passion and intimacy that the two have been craving during these passing months. Ever since the two became married, it was like the two would cease breathing. This was what it was like to have a significant other - a soulmate.

Those happy few months skipped into two years, and the couple never left that mentality for closeness. Gray did return to their home to continue his duty of educating Rachel - she was near completion, after all. The priest was quite proud of the accomplishments the two have done, they have achieved their own kind of normalcy, but he wasn't blind that the pair did have their darkness still retained within them - especially Zack. Rachel seemed quite content and preoccupied in maintaining their way of life, but Gray wasn't blind when it came to Isaac. They have endured much trauma together, but the scarred man suffered the longest, to break his habits would be damn near impossible.

"I see...he still gets nightmares..." Gray quietly spoke.

He and Rachel were sitting in the garden, as they reflected on current life events. It's clear that the couple were pleased with their current lives, but there was still those small issues that slipped through the cracks.

"It's not very bad. Back then, Zack would have some nightmares that took a while to shake off...I'm sure it has to do with his past," Ray said. "He can go back to sleep nowadays, but it pains me to see him like that."