8. A Red Arse Freakin' Forest

I could feel my eyes open wide, taking in the surroundings in amazement. But even so, I am not happy.

"Seriously, I've barely gotten situated in the town, and now I'm here!? A red arse forest!?"

I heard a light groaning in my head, an obvious sign of Gilbert's suffering. At least I'm not the only one...

Looking around everything seemed odd, almost like it was alive.

"They're plants, of course they're alive..." Gilbert grumbled.

"Not like that! Like... they have a consciousness...."

"They all seem pretty dull and still to me," he retorted, igniting a small sense of annoyance in my mind.

"Whatever," I sighed, standing to get a better look.

I was in the middle of a small clearing, a circle of viny, red trees surrounding me. They were very still, too still to be natural. Not even the wind could sway those branches and vines, so it was more than odd.

Keeping my eye on the trees I pulled out my map, glancing down to find my relative area.

Huh? Seriously!?

It's freakin' blank!?

I pinched the bridge of my nose while sighing, wanting to crouch down and cry. You would think a magical map provided by a god would at least show the name of your location, but no...

It DOESN'T.

I'm literally standing in a red blob right now, or at least according to this map.

I looked up in hesitation, scanning my surrounding for anything odd. Well, more odd then it already is.

I could feel my heart hammering in my chest as I approached the tree line, occasionally glancing at my map to see if there was a difference.

There wasn't.

I circled the whole area to see if it changed, yet not a single thing moved. There was only red.

I sat down, sighing in dejection.

"Well, that didn't work out," Gilbert grumbled, just as grumpy as me. It seems like he must not know a way out either, even though I assume he must have at least a few powers. It would be more odd if a god like him didn't.

'Do you think I would be strong enough to make it through to the other side?,' I asked Gilbert, hoping he would answer.

"Hell if I would know! But right now, it seems like this forest has got the upper hand. Even that god map of yours isn't working!"

Sighing, I rubbed my hands on my face, peering into the forest from between my fingers.

"It looks, kind of scary..." I mumbled to myself, hearing a snort from Gilbert.

I hesitated while trying to peer in farther, searching for any dangerous thing that might give me an excuse to not enter the forest.

But it was only still. The only dangerous thing about it being the feeling I have, which may or may not stem from the fear of the unknown.

"Seriously... Just go already you COWARD!," Gilbert yelled, effectively forcing my feet to move. Well, run.

Not even seconds later I was a few hundred meters in, only realizing as the light dimmed to a low, red glow.

Coming to a sudden halt my mouth gaped with astonishment.

"What the HECKLES just happened!?"