eXtraction & Xroads

Part 1 "eXtraction"

Four years ago Roderick Campbell took care of his brother Jack. Who suffered from a terminal illness. He checks on Jack, but feels helpless. There's nothing he can do to prevent his brother from dying. Later that day Campbell lectures about mutations. He says that humans are just another species struggling for survival. He compares Homo Sapiens surviving the Neanderthals to the struggle with mutants today. Campbell says humans will prevail again.

Present Day

The Mutant Underground leaders, Marcos/Eclipse, John/Thunderbird, Lorna/Polaris, and Clarice/Blink discuss their decision to join the Frost sisters. Marcos says they agreed out of necessity, but he does not trust them. The Frosts inform them that Campbell is going public with the Hound program at the Humanity Today summit. They want to kidnap him from that event. Clarice questions their motives. They make it known that Clarice has a criminal past and they know who her old friends are.

Reed and Caitlin settle back into the HQ. John asks Reed for information about his father's research. He thinks they can use it to take down the Hound program. John tells them they are heading to North Carolina to take Campbell. Reed says he will see what he can find.

Clarice approaches John about her past. She admits that the Purifiers ran her out of town. Clarice says she was angry and had nowhere to go. She found a group of mutants that were pushing back against the Purifiers. They were a part of the Brotherhood. She says she only did a couple of jobs for them and left when she didn't agree with what they asked her to do. John gets upset asking why she hid that from them. Clarice says she feels safe with the MU and that's why she hid it. John questions whether or not she is really one of them.

Campbell is on a plane to North Carolina. He left instructions with his lab to find Otto Strucker's research. His assistant tells him that some of the research is missing. Campbell tells them to find it. That X-gene for good. He continues his trip and meets Director Wolcott. They make their way to the Humanity Today summit.

Andy Strucker is reading a book about his great grandfather, Andreas Von Strucker. He says the book is biased because humans wrote it. He says Fenris was trying to build a better world for mutants. His sister Lauren doesn't agree. She thinks their great grandfather was crazy. She says they can't trust the Frosts. Andy says they are the only ones who treat them like adults, and maybe the only people telling them the truth. He wants to do something about the hound program. Andy feels more responsible for what happened at Fairburn.

Tex/Fade sees Caitlin and makes a snarky remark about her return. She tells him that they are on the same side. He says that's not really true. Caitlin leaves.

Reed and Sage are working on finding anything on Otto's research. Sage tells them that Trask is looking for it as well. They sent Sentinel Services to question Reed's mom, Ellen. Caitlin and Reed grab the kids and they take off to Ellen Strucker before Sentinel Services does.

The Frost take John, Marcos, Clarice, and Polaris to a huge house in North Carolina. Esme gives them the tour. She says their benefactors left them with resources to live comfortably. John assumes their benefactors are the Brotherhood. And he would be right. The house is their base of operations for this mission.

Esme shows Polaris to her room. She tells Polaris that Marcos is holding her back. Polaris gets annoyed with Esme and lashes out by destroying the bed. Esme says she is getting stronger. She says she sees the power of her father in her.

The Struckers arrive at Ellen's office. When they find her, they explain to her everything that is happening, including what happened to Otto. Reed explains to her what Trask is after and asks if Otto had another lab where he left his research. Ellen is sad and confused. They tell her to go with them. Sentinel Services won't leave her alone if she stays.