Chapter 5: Yoon-gi

June 13th

The smell of breakfast made his mouth water, but his stomach turn. He swallowed bile, regretting the beers from the night before. His head pounded, his lip stinging. The memory of Jung-kook's fist hitting his face made him wince. They'd traded a lot of hateful words.

"Min Yoon-gi, come eat!" 

He froze, hand on the doorknob. "I can't Mrs. Cheong. I have practice."

She appeared in the doorway to the kitchen, wiping her hands on a towel. Her quick gaze took in the bruise on his cheek, the split lip, but she didn't comment. "You're too thin." She sniffed. "Eat."

"She won't let you get away that easily."

Yoon-gi felt his eyes widen, unable to hide his surprise. "Cheong Da-som, you're home."

She leaned against the doorjam next to her mother. "It's summer break." Her eyes narrowed. "Ma is right, you're too thin."

She looked exactly the same. Long brown hair worn loose, a big sweater and baggy jeans on her petite frame. Clear, direct gaze always seeing more than he wanted her to.

"Eat," she commanded, pointing to the kitchen. "Please." 

She used her requests like weapons, knowing full well he could never deny her anything. He sat next to her as Mrs. Cheong began to dish up the food. He waited for her to sit, then poured tea. 

"Thank you, Min Yoon-gi." Mrs. Cheong's smile was bright. "I'm so happy to have you both at the table again." 

"I'm only home for two weeks." Da-som sipped her tea. "I wanted to celebrate your audition before I have to go back."

"You didn't need to come home just for that." 

She laughed. He always envied the relaxed way she lived; no holding back. No fear.

"Of course I did! Do you think I suffered through ten years of listening to you practice for nothing?" She turned that smile on him, and his chest hurt for a moment. Almost like she'd pierced him with a needle. 

"Min Yoon-gi has always been my best student," Mrs. Cheong praised. "It was my pleasure to teach him. And after his mother's passing it was my pleasure to treat him as my son."

Yoon-gi stared at his plate, face on fire. He loved Mrs. Cheong but he'd never said it. She never pressured him for more than he could give. In the eight years he'd lived with her, first in her apartment and later upstairs in the one-room studio, she'd been a constant source of comfort to him. Da-som, on the other hand, was more of a pain.

"You're embarrassing him, Ma!" Da-som scolded. "You know he doesn't like to talk about feelings."

"He doesn't need to talk about them," Mrs Cheong reassured him with a pat to his hand. "He plays them."

"Eat," Da-som urged, and he dug in, hoping for silence. He winced as he opened his mouth, the salt stinging his split lip. To his relief, the rest of the meal went by in companionable quiet. 

When he was done he stood. "Thank you for the meal," he said to Mrs. Cheong. "I have to get to practice now."

"Wait!" Da-som stood, too. "I'll walk to the studio with you. I'm headed that way." She ran off for her coat without waiting for an answer. 

"Should I stay and help clean up?" he asked, but Mrs. Cheong waved him away with a laugh.

He waited for Da-som by the door, fingers tight on the strap of his bag. She appeared and slipped on her shoes with a smile. "Home soon, Ma!" she called before they left.