Six

6. Powers

 Powers

✯ ✯ ✯

BARON VON STRUCKER STOOD IN HIS office, his hands clasped behind his back as he stared out the window watching the snow fall. His gaze flickered over to the small city in the distance, a spitefully determined look flashing in his eyes before returning to their annoyed state as a muffled scream brought him back to reality.

Miss Stark.

She had been with them for months, experimented on everyday (and some nights) and had yet to show any sign of powers, but she was alive. Which is more than he could say about their previous test subjects. They had performed several experiments on thousands of subjects and they had all died within days of the procedure so this was a breakthrough in itself.

Strucker turned from the window with a grunt, deciding to check on subject two and see if her body had finally accepted Project M.

His shoes clicked along the floor as he walked, the sound echoing throughout the empty hallway before coming to a stop as Strucker pushed open the door to the lab. "How is she coming along, Doctor?"

Cecelia glanced up from her chair to see List give Strucker a tiny smile - so tiny that if she hadn't been paying attention she would've missed it - before beckoning him over to the table behind her. She kept her eyes trained ahead on the empty wall in front of her as she struggled to make out what they were saying; she knew it was about her, it was always about her, no matter what their conversations always ended up diverting back to her.

The brunette closed her eyes, taking a deep breath as List removed the needle from her arm. She took a few seconds before opening her eyes to see Strucker standing in front of her, his arms crossed as he took in her appearance. She watched as his eyes examined her, his face completely devoid of any emotions. The room was silent save for the tapping List was doing on his tablet.

After a while, Strucker's face scrunched up in annoyance before he spoke.

"She looks terrible," he muttered, glancing over to List who didn't even glance at her. She'd been locked in this room for days while List performed experiments on her and ran his own tests on ways to better improve the serum. Of course, she looked terrible.

"Take her to the showers."

The restraints around Cece's wrists released and she stretched as she stood up, rubbing her sore wrists before exiting the room with both Strucker and his goons following close behind her. She might've resigned herself to being here, but they still didn't trust her. She could find a way out of here if they weren't careful. She was a Stark, after all.