Chapter 4

Oscar's POV

"Thanks for showing me around today," I said, putting my homework in my backpack.

"Oh, it's no problem!" Ruby said, taking another bag of cookies out of her backpack. Yang walked by and stole a few. Ruby sighed and handed her sister the entire bag. 

"So, you're staying with Professor Ozpin, your uncle, right?" Yang asked through a mouthful of cookies. 

"Yeah."

"What are you guys doing for dinner?" Ruby asked. "Dinner is my favorite part of the day." Yang just rolled her eyes at her sister's comment.

"Oh, uhh. I don't know. My uncle works late tonight, well, most nights, so I'll probably just make a sandwich or something," I said feeling awkward. 

"Nope," Yang said.

"What?"

"You're not going to eat a sandwich for dinner. Look, we may have only known you for a few hours, but we can sit by and let you do something so sad. Come over for dinner, our dad cooks the best meals. And tonight is pasta night." 

"Yeah! And Blake comes over every pasta night! It's so much fun, we watch movies and play games and eat pasta! It's a family tradition. Once every two weeks, we have pasta night!" Ruby said, getting excited. 

"Seems like a lot of excitement for some pasta, but okay. Let me text my uncle," I said, pulling out my phone.

Me: Ruby Rose and Yang Xiao Long have invited me over for dinner. Is that okay?

Uncle Ozpin: That's good. They are nice kids. 

Uncle Ozpin: Be back home by 10.

"Yeah, I'm good. What's your address? That way I can drop my backpack off at home."

Yang took out a notebook and wrote down an address, then handed me that paper. I looked at it and realized that they didn't live too far from my place.

"Okay, meet you there," I said, turning to leave.

                                       ~

I stood outside Ruby and Yang's house, about to go in. The moment I knocked on the door, a man opened it. He was tall and had blond hair like Yang and a blond goatee. 

"So you must be Oscar Pine," he said. I nodded. "The girls told me all about you. Come on in. Blake just got here." 

Their house was really big. The TV, which they were sitting in front of while playing video games, was huge. Their kitchen was super clean and had a breakfast bar, on which lay many bags of cookies.

"Oscar!" Ruby shouted, jumping up and dropping the Xbox controller. "You made it!"

"Of course I did." 

Blake was sitting in Yang's lap, reading on her phone while Yang played video games. "Hey Oscar," Blake said, looking up.

Yang didn't even say anything to me, just waved. "Ruby get back here! You're gonna die and then I'm gonna die trying to save you!" 

I sat down on the floor next to Ruby and watched Yang's avatar rush over to where Ruby's avatar lay on the ground. As she began to revive her sister, a huge hoard of monsters surrounded her and killed her in seconds. Yang let out a little scream in frustration and tossed the controller to the ground. 

"Sorry Yang," Ruby apologized.

"No don't worry. I should have let you die, then I could finish that area."

"That's not very nice!" 

"You would have respawned with full health once I beat the boss!"

Ruby's dad called everyone into the other room for dinner and we all sat around the table. There was one empty seat. Then the door opened and someone made their way into the room.

A tall, dark haired man, the same age was Ruby's dad walked in. "Hey Tai, sorry I'm late." He was obviously drunk.

Ruby jumped out of her seat. "Uncle Qrow!" She jumped out and grabbed his arm, hugging it with all her might. 

"Easy there kiddo. Don't want to tear off my arm do you?" She let go and hugged him around the waist. 

Qrow sat down next to Ruby's dad, Tai. Then we started eating. I felt kinda awkward, since I didn't know anybody really well. But Ruby made sure that I was included in the conversations.

I learned that Ruby's uncle, Qrow was a teacher at Beacon, and I would be in his class tomorrow.

"So, Uncle Qrow," Yang spoke up. "Have you asked him out yet?"

Qrow's face turned a bright shade of pink. "Nope."

"But Uncle Qrow, you and Mr. Ebi would be soooo cute together!" Ruby squealed. 

"Clover's a busy man, he might not have time for a relationship. Plus I don't want to get rejected, especially when we work at the same school." 

All of the girls complained. But Qrow would hear none of it. He turned to me.

"Oscar, how are you enjoying Vale so far? It's an interesting place to live, isn't it?" I nodded. I hadn't had much of a chance to explore the city. Then Qrow started asking me about my aunt's farm and I couldn't stop talking. 

At first, I was worried that nobody would be interested, but everybody listened intently and Ruby and Blake even asked a few questions. 

After dinner, we played Monopoly. Everyone was so competitive. It was so much fun. Yang ended up winning, but it was a close game. 

Finally, it was time for me to go home. "I'll walk with you, it isn't far from here."

"Take Zwei with you. He hasn't been walked all day." Tai called after us. Ruby went and got a tiny little black dog with the energy of a bulldozer and put a leash on him. 

"Okay, ready to go!" We headed out the door and down the street. All the way home, Ruby talked. She talked about many different things. She complained about homework,  talked about her strategy to beat Yang at Monopoly, and explained why she loved cookies so much. I didn't get a chance to say much, but I just enjoyed listening. 

We got back to my house and Ruby walked with me to the front door.

"Thank you for dinner, and everything else," I said.

"Oh, don't worry about it. Anything for a friend!"

"You really think we're friends, I've only known you for a day."

"So? Just because we haven't been friends long doesn't mean we can't be friends. Even though I've only known you for a day, I can tell that you are a good person." She gave me a quick hug and then started down the sidewalk.

"Ruby," I called. She stopped and turned around. "Thank you for being my friend." 

She smiled and waved at me before taking off at a jog, with Zwei right at her side.

I headed inside and flopped on my bed. Today really was a good first day at school.

--------------------------------------------------------

A/N: This took me sooo much longer than expected, but I'm really proud of it. 

Don't forget to comment and vote! I absolutely love hearing from you!