Promotions

As Kenzie approached the school, she took a deep breath. Just two years ago, which felt like yesterday, she walked in through these same gates, looking forward to being on the cheer team, and it was where she had first seen Johnny. As she walked closer to the Seabrook High School sign, she admired the empty space where the wired gate used to divide the Zombie entrance, and the "normal" entrance. Seabrook had come so far. Kenzie sighed, it was the first day of her junior year in High School, and Johnny was finally allowed to go to the Prawn with her. This was going to be the best year ever. As she came closer to the door, she heard a familiar voice behind her. "So, when do people start asking their date to Prawn?" the voice asked. Kenzie turned around to see Johnny, his hair looking a little brighter greener than usual. Johnny noticed her eyeing his hair and ran his hair through it. "Yes, I went to their barber. Barbers in Seabrook are really good!" He exclaimed. "The ones in Zombietown just charge you 50 Zom-coins just to cut an inch off!" He complained. "Zom-coins? What's that?" Kenzie asked. Johnny waved his hand. "It's just our currency. Couldn't be touching the same money as people in Seabrook." He said. Kenzie frowned. "I'm sorry John. At my mom's next meeting, I'll make sure to get her to mention it." "No, Kenz, it's fine. I'm sure that the mayor of Seabrook has much more important matters to discuss." He told her. They walked together tot he entrance, and Johnny held the door for Kenzie. Kenzie smiled at him and blushed as she thanked him. "Sit with me at lunch?" Johnny asked. Kenzie nodded. "It'll be the only thing that'll get me through History, we're studying conflict between civilizations." She rolled her eyes. "Hey! Annie worked hard to get that unit in the curriculum, it's about how humans mistreated Zombies, and how they can right their wrongs." Johnny explained. "Oh, that's sounds great actually, so proud of her!" Kenzie exclaimed. "Speaking of Annie, where is she?" Kenzie asked. Johnny shrugged. "I didn't want to be late for first day of junior year, so I let her and Gus get here on their own." Kenzie nodded. "K, see you later!" She called as she walked down the hall, and Johnny entered his class. "Oh, and by the way. Your hair looks great." He told her, before entering into his chemistry class. Knezie smiled to herself, and twirled her real, long hair.

That day at lunch, Kenzie sat at her regular table with the rest of the cheerleaders, wondering where Johnny was. Sitting with her was her best friend Lauren, her cousin Hayden, as well as his sort-of minions, Gianina, Hannah, and Brady, all in their cheer outfits, even during the middle of the school day. "Hey, Kenzie, I've got good news for you." Hayden started. Kenzie looked over at him. "I'm going to be running for president this year, and so... I won't have time to be cheer captain and president, so... I need someone to take over for me and, well, Lauren wouldn't';t stop pestering me so... Congratulations! You're the new cheer captain!" He exclaimed. "I'll hand over the sacred whistle during practice today." He told her. Kenzie's eyes lit up. "This is so amazing! Thank you SO much... and Lauren" she said, turning to face her best friend. "It's all because of you!" she thanked her, leaning in for a hug. "Actually... it's all because of Me! And my great generosity." Hayden said. "But wait..." Kenzie started as she turned back to face her cousin. "That's only if you win." Kenzie reminded him. Hayden looked back to the other cheerleaders and laughed, and they all joined him. Then he placed a hand on her shoulder, and looked her in the eyes. "Kenzie. There isn't even anyone else running! And if there was, who on earth with have a chance at beating me!?" He asked as him and the other cheerleaders laughed. At that moment, Johnny, Annie and Gus walked in through the cafeteria doors, handing out posters. "Vote Johnny for President!" Annie announced as she shoved posters into people's hands. Hayden noticed and his eyes widened. They made their way over to the cheerleader's table, and handed out posters to Lauren, Gianina, Hannah and Brady. Hannah let her poster fly down to the floor, Brady pushed his away from himself on the table, and Gianina stared at hers in disgust. Annie tried to give one to Hayden, but he grabbed it first and tore it in two. "You're running for president!?" He exclaimed. "We can't have a Zombie president, EW!!" Gianina complained. "Why not?" Annie asked. "Everyone LOVES the cheerleaders, and they make up the majority. It would be great to have a president that represents a minority, that way when people see him representing the school they'll realize that-" "That we let green-haired freaks run our school?" Hayden taunted. "Whatever, no one's gonna vote for you anyway." Hayden assured himself. "I will!" Lauren said. Kenzie didn't look up. She wanted Johnny to win, but... If he won, then she wouldn't become the cheer captain. "Hey Kenzie, what's wrong?" Johnny asked. "Aren't you gonna vote for me?" Hayden smirked. "Of course not. If you win, then she doesn't get to be cheer captain." He said. Johnny raised an eyebrow. "Huh? What's he talking about Kenz?" Kenzie shook her head. "Can we talk after school?" she asked. Hayden wagged a finger in front of her. "Aren't you forgetting something, we have cheer practice, and I guess you're not getting the whistle just yet, since we have to wait until I officially beat this loser." Kenzie thought for a moment. "Here, Johnny let's go." She stood up and took his hand. They walked outside. "So... I guess you want Hayden to win." Johnny said, breaking the silence. "No I don't, it's just that..." "Being cheer captain is your dream." Johnny interrupted. Kenzie nodded. "Hey, it's okay." Johnny told her. "How about this. I won't vote at all. That way, whatever happens, happens." Kenzie suggested. Johnny smiled. "And either way, one of us gets what we want, and I can live with that." He said. Kenzie smiled back at him. "Me too."

Later that day, after cheer practice was over, they were taking the bus. They were almost entering Zombietown, to drop the zombies that had joined cheer off. All of sudden, a sign dropped down from the tree, as they drove along, a few more came down, and all together, they worded out "Kenzie will you go to the Prawn with" and then there was a giant arrow pointing towards a ladder. Everyone was trying to see out the window, to see what was going on. "JOHNNY!" Kenzie screamed, when she realized that he was standing at the top of the ladder. "NO JOHNNY GET OUT OF THE WAY!" She tried to warn him, as the bus drove straight ahead, following the path to right where Johnny was standing. They bus driver tired to drive around, and all of a sudden the whole bus was wobbling to different sides. It drove into the forest, and turned on its side. Kenzie struggled to climb out, and tried to find her way out through the trees, to see if Johnny was okay. "Johnny!? Lauren!? Anyone!?" She looked around at the empty forest. All for a sudden she heard shuffling. "Johnny?" She asked. A twig cracked, and Kenzie jumped. There was noise, not too far away from her. "Hello?" She called into the forest. That same noise again. Was that... a howl? More howling, and it sounded like it was getting closer. Something brushed her arm, and Kenzie turned around. With a reflex, she punched the figure the face. "Ow!" Johnny groaned. "Johnny! I'm so sorry, I-I thought your were... Werewolves!" She exclaimed, as the rest of the cheer team appeared. "I heard their howls, just like the ones we learned about in school. They're real. They're here." Everyone started freaking out. "Guys, guys, guys calm down, I'm sure there's no such thing as-" another howl. Johnny's eyes widened. "Let's go!" Hayden suggested. They all ran out of the forest, and off to inform everyone about the strange noises and suspected werewolves in the forest.