Chapter 1

Trigger Warning: Remus being Remus, Violence, Bulling, Harsh Language. Let me know if I missed something.

To say Remus was bored would be an understatement. He sat in his math classroom not paying attention in the slightest. His teacher was droaning about fractions and exponents and all that jazz but Remus couldn’t care less. He was contemplating the best thing to cure his boredom when an idea occurred to him. He grabbed his phone and speaker from his backpack. He downloaded the sound of thunder crashing, then on the loudest setting he played it. “Mr. Teacherman has angered the Gods everyone run for your life!” He quickly grabbed his things and bolted from the room. He turned around and watched as half the class followed him laughing. The teacher's face seen from the doorway was bright red and furious. So Remus kept running. 

He ran right into a towering person who was skipping his own class albeit not quite as dramatically. The tall guy glared at Remus who gave a smile and laughed. The guy slammed Remus into the lockers nearby. “Oh, goody are we gonna have some fun?” Remus asked, making flirty eyes at the guy. “You are such a brute, we’ll have to be little quieter than that, otherwise the public will find out, and they aren’t ready for our love.” Remus lemented dramatically. Placing the back of his hand to his forehead to illustrate his distress.

The guy growled his eyes flashing with anger “Shut the hell up!” he pulled his clenched fist back before taking a swing at Remus. The guy was slow and Remus ducked. The guys fist colliding with the lockers. The boy let out a loud cry of pain as he grabbed his hand. Releasing Remus for a moment.

Remus should have taken this opportunity to escape. He didn’t. “Tsk, tsk, tsk. Temper temper, at least ask me on a date first” Remus said with a smug smirk. This really pissed the dude off. He grabbed Remus by the hair and slammed his head back into the lockers. 

Remus grunted as stars flooded his vision. “Ugh… Kinky” He said before his legs gave out and he slid to the floor. The boy growled, and kicked Remus in the ribs. Remus gasped as the air was forced from his lungs. Maybe… he should… stop… egging this guy on…

“Hey, break it up!” A teacher called from down the hall.

“Oh, don’t spoil the fun now. I have this brute right where I want him.” Remus said gasping for air on the ground. This earned him another punch to the face. The teacher called for backup who eventually tore the two teens apart. 

________
“Remus Duke this has gone on for too long! You disrupt classes regularly, you get into fights constantly! This has to stop. Detention doesn’t seem to help and we have tried ISS. I think it is time for you to try a new environment.” The principle said exasperated. She was a middle aged woman with a skinny body, and brown hair that was turning gray at the roots. Frown lines could be found in her cheeks and she wore way too much makeup for someone her age. She was beyond annoyed with this student and in all fairness she wouldn’t be sad to see this troublemaker go.

“So, what are you gonna do with me sweet cheeks?” He said draped dramatically over the chair in front of her desk.  

‘Don’t slap him, don’t slap him, don’t slap him.’ This mantra was stuck on loop in the principles head as she calmly explained to Remus what would happen to him. “You are going to be transferred to a different school.”

“I guess I am too much man for you to handle, eh?” Remus said only half paying attention. He wasn’t concerned about what happened to him. Anywhere they sent him couldn’t be as bad as the Hell he had to deal with at home…. HOME! Oh, shit his dad was going to hear about this! He would have to know if they were full on transferring him to a new school. This was not good. 

“Oh, by the way we called your father so we could discuss the situation in person. He is on his way.” The principal typing away on her computer, She was distracted so she didn’t see the pure horror that crossed Remus’s usually smug face.

Almost on cue an office assistant appeared at the principal's door, “Sorry to interrupt ma’am but Mr. Duke is here to see you.” 

“Thank you for sending him in.” The assistant nodded and exited the room. Remus immediately corrected the way he was sitting. He sat properly, his back straight as a board and his eyes looking down to his lap. His hands folded neatly in his lap. The principal's jaw about hit the floor in shock. However, before she could say anything Remus’s father walked in. 

Remus’s father was a very good looking man for being in his early forties. He was tall with broad shoulders. His black hair dyed to look silver at the tips was pushed back so it flopped around slightly as he walked. He had a short black beard that was speckled lightly with hints of grey. His handsome face was marred with a scowl that took away most of his appeal and he had creased between his eyebrows from knitting them together so often. He stormed quickly into the room shooting a look at his son before turning his attention to the principle “What is this about? What has my son done now?” He questioned clearly annoyed, but what parent wouldn’t be frustrated knowing their kid was in trouble. 

The principle started describing what mischief Remus had been getting himself into and the consequences for his actions. As she spoke Remus’s father sat seemingly patient and listening. Remus eyes glanced at his father’s hands to see he had a death grip on the armrest of the chair he was sitting in. He cringed and his body slumped slightly.

“I think it would be best if we transferred him to the highschool across town.” She said in conclusion. 

“Very well, if that is what you think would be best.” Remus’s father stated simply. “Is that all I have to get back to work.”

“Sure you do,” Remus mumbled under his breath, but the comment didn’t go unheard by his father. Who sent his son a glare. Remus flinched slightly. 

“I believe that was all I had to say.” She finished and stood up and presented a hand for the other adult to shake. He gave a fake smile shaking her hand before he grabbed his son by his arm and hoisted him up. His hand squeezing tighter than necessary. Remus followed his father quickly out the door and to his father's car. The car ride to the house was dead silent. 

_______

“You no good little monster! You are such a piece of shit! Because of you I had to leave a very lovely lady unhappy!” Remus’s father yelled at him as Remus curled in on himself. Had it been anyone else he would fight back, but he learned a long time ago his father was the only person he couldn’t be smug with. 

“You monster! (I know) You are why she is gone! (Iknow!) It's your fault that they left! (I know!)” He must have gotten bored of just yelling because soon Remus could feel blows hitting his body. Remus just stood there and took it the best he could.

“Monster!”

Punch.

“Mistake!”

 Kick.

“Bastard!”

Kick.

“Prick!”

Slap.

“Son of a bitch!”

Punch.

At this point Remus was a heap on the ground not moving. He was still conscious he just knew if he moved it would be worse. 

“I need a beer.” Finally Remus’s dad was satisfied. He grabbed his jacket and his keys and left for the bar. Probably hoping to find another chick to sleep with. 

It took a while but Remus finally found the energy to pull himself off the ground. He dragged himself to the kitchen where he managed to find a few scrapes of edible food hidden in the fridge. He sighed and made his way up to his room. He set the food down on his bed before he went rummaging around in his bottom drawer all the way in the back. There he found a simple wooden box. He opened the box a fond smile found its way onto his face. Inside the box was a well used little red crayon, a piece of string, a couple of drawings, and a picture. The picture showed two boys with matching smiles as they paused in their play for their mother to take the picture.

Remus sat there for a long time looking at that picture before he felt tears trickling down his face. He leaned protectively over his box clutching it like alife lifeline as he sobbed.