CHAPTER EIGHT

Ben looked stunned, dark hair slightly tousled, and he looked unchanged in his black tunic and trousers, black polished boots in stark contrast against their surroundings

"What happened?" Ben asked again, unsure of how to handle the situation. He had never seen Sol like this. She was usually strong and unshakeable, qualities he loved about her. But now she stood before him, walls crumbling.

"I'm not strong enough to keep the balance, I don't know who to trust or where to look. I've become a mere pawn amongst gods."

"What are you talking about?" Ben's voice dipped.

"He wants me to reclaim the throne." Sol rasped.

"Who?"

"My great grandfather, Emperor Valkorion. He believes that Palpatine will try to retake the eternal throne for himself. In doing that Palpatine will gain the strength of Sith before him and become stronger than ever. He wants me to claim the throne so Palpatine nor anyone else gets it. He claims it's my birthright." Sol's voice was a shaky mess.

A frown crossed Ben's features. "Emperor Valkorian? The Sith who managed to rule over both the Old Republic and the Empire? You're his great-granddaughter?"

Sol stiffly nodded, forcing down a lump in her throat.

"I don't know what to do." She said quietly. "I can't let Palpatine take it but I can't either and if no one does I don't know who could. I don't even know if I am strong enough to defeat Palpatine and keep you and Rey safe. I-"

Sol was cut off by Ben's form enveloping around her, pulling her into her chest. Her breath faltered. She hadn't been hugged like this by him since they were kids in Luke's academy. She gripped onto his tunic, burrowing her face into the quilted material. She let tears escape her eyes, blurring her vision.

"I don't know if I can either." Ben's deep voice vibrated against her neck and Sol felt his tousled hair tickle against her skin.

"I don't know if I can keep going on this path. The light has become so strong but leaving the order is a death wish."

Sol pulled away from him just enough so she could catch his eyes through her tears.

"What?"

Looking at him, Sol could see the scared boy from the Academy, cowering in the dark waiting for a ray of light, a sign of hope. His face looked youthish and his eyes showed a life of war. The eyes that had seen countless battles and deaths had become doe-like, reminding Sol of his mother.

"I know what I need to do but I don't know if I'm strong enough yet." His voice was a whisper.

Sol put a hand on his face, running her thumb over the scar Rey had left.

"You've always been strong, but you are now realizing your strength. Don't let them

win Ben. They win when you give in to them. Be the stronger person I know you've always been."