CHAPTER NINE

Poe landed the old ship on the outskirts of the old town

Poe landed the old ship on the outskirts of the old town. It was night out from what Sol could see out of the front window of the ship. Snow had begun to drift toward the ground, landing on the window and melting. Sol hadn't seen too much snow in her life and every time she saw it, it made her giddy.

"Have you ever seen snow, Rey?" Sol asked, looking to where the young Jedi stood beside her. Rey shook her head.

"Not like this." Her voice sounded distant as if she wasn't quite with them as she watched the white flakes fall.

"Now's not the time to be ogling over the seasons," Poe said walking past the cockpit. He carried several thick winter coats in his hand. "Take one of these and let's go. Troopers are crawling all around this place. We need to move fast."

Sol and Rey each took a coat from Poe. Sol slipped hers on and buttoned it up, making sure her saber was tucked away safely. When she looked up, Poe and Finn were waiting for them by the ramp.

"Are we going?" Poe asked, impatience slipping into his voice. Sol narrowed her eyes at him.

"Don't give me that tone." She snipped back walking towards the ramp, Rey following quickly.

Outside the temperature had dropped. Sol's breath was a misty cloud every time she exhaled. Even with her coat on, the cold still nipped at her skin. Rey didn't look much better, not having been around cold climates gave her a severe disadvantage. Poe led the group behind a stone wall.

"I'm gonna check the perimeter to get a sense of how many troopers are out. Stay here, don't be seen." He instructed, pulling his coat closer to his body. The group nodded and the pilot turned and left.

Poe left them in the bitter cold for several minutes. In that time Sol noticed Rey move steadily closer to her.

"Cold?" Sol asked Rey with a small smile. The girl nodded stiffly, Sol noticed the pink tint to her nose and cheeks.

"Give me your hands." Sol reached out on her own. Rey obliged. Sol closed her eyes, focusing on drawing heat and energy from her body and moving it into Rey's life force. She felt the young Jedi relax.

"Better?" Sol asked, opening her eyes again. Rey looked at her hands and nodded.

"How did you do that?" Her voice was wonderstruck.

"Little trick I picked up from my time with Luke." Sol smiled.

Poe's footsteps could be heard close by and seconds later he rounded the corner.

"They're everywhere." He announced, joining the group once again. In the distance, Sol could hear the shout of locals as their night was splintered by searchlights and patrol troops.

"I think I know what we should do," Poe announced looking back at the town.

"So do I!" 3P0 interjected. "Let's leave."