The Contract

Van

Today marked the second first day of school for Van in less than a year. But unlike her first day at Briarwood Academy, she walked into the Holy Asylum of Light with her shoulders back and her chin up. It didn't matter that she'd rather pull her own teeth than schmooze with these baby stealers- she had a mission, and for Luca's sake, she was going to complete it. Brantley was coming home.

She paused outside of the classroom and dragged in a lungful of air as she steadied a rush of nervous energy. The metal plate declaring the room number cast her reflection back to her, and despite it being skewed, it was clear enough that she could see the determination in her green eyes. And that was enough to beat back the worst of the jitters.

"You got this, Van," she whispered.

"Is this something you normally do?"

She whipped around, hand on her chest, and glared at the teen boy hovering behind her. He was tall and muscled with shoulder length auburn hair, and despite the fact his nose looked as if it had been rearranged on more than one occasion, he was fairly attractive with a stubble speckled square jaw and arresting blue eyes.

The stranger pushed his fingers through his hair, leaving them tangled in the coarse strands and resting on top of his head while he waited for her response. Van twisted her lips to the side and crossed her arms over her chest.

Letting his arms drop, he laughed. The sound was velvet smooth and made her insides flip. And not in a good way.

"So, you only talk to yourself? I guess it makes sense."

If he thought he could pique her interest enough to pry, he was wrong. Barely- she really wanted to know why it made sense.

Another chuckle and then a sigh. Thrusting out a hand, he said, "I'm Isaiah."

Van studied the offered hand. Like the rest of him, it appeared to be sturdy. The dark skin was calloused and scarred, and his fingernails were cut short and kept clean. She wondered how often he had to wash it to hide the sins it committed.

"Of course, I know who you are."

"Good," she said, spinning on her heel and striding into the classroom without waiting for a response.

The other students swiveled in their seats and openly watched her as she picked a desk near the window. Their curiosity was more intense than that shown by the students at Briarwood Academy, but there she was a new kid- a nobody. Here, she was the daughter of their Supreme leader, and someone to be feared or resented. She wished Hailey was here. They might not be best friends, but at least Van could trust the girl to be herself instead of veiling her glances and words in slippery slights.

"Nice of you two to join us."

Van resisted the urge to roll her eyes. Part of the plan she and Luca devised required her to be a model Slayer, but it would appear that no matter what the curriculum, teachers were teachers.

"Sorry, Slayer Latisha. Our Prefect announced a last minute room raid."

Van forgot some of the students lived in the Asylum. She would hate to be somewhere so restrictive, but perhaps she should talk to Luca about his thoughts on her moving into the school. No doubt her father would be pleased by such a request.

Slayer Latisha pushed a finger against the bridge of her nose and nodded. "I'll speak to him again. This is the third time he's done this before classes. And Novitiate Vanessa, what do you have to say about your tardiness?"

Cringing at the use of her full name, Van bit back the snarky retort and coated her vocal cords with as much syrup as possible. "I'm sorry Slayer Latisha. I got turned around a couple of times."