A Dance

Van

The look on Luca's face might have been comical if things weren't so serious. As he continued to stare at her without speaking, she nodded while tracking the lithe movements of the Slayer across the restaurant. So far, Trixie had not spied them, but she was engaged in a tense conversation with what appeared to be one of the staff.

"B-but how? Has the Riviere been compromised?"

She thought of the tale he told her. If Trixie was here, it was more logical to think she had no ill will toward anyone inside the building. Otherwise, this place would be swarming with Slayers. But even with that thought in mind, Van didn't want Trixie to catch her having dinner with a shifter. What if she felt obligated to turn her in?

"We should leave," she whispered, gathering her things to get up. It would be best to go now, while Trixie was occupied.

"Wait, Van." Luca's expression was contemplative. "If Tommy's job with the Holy Asylum of Light is a cover..."

"Then maybe there are others working inside the organization," she finished, her cheeks flushed with excitement. "I've always thought Trixie was softer than the others. She was pissed the night they brought your little brother in."

"Yeah, but-"

"But what?"

He swiveled around in his chair and flattened his palms on the table. In the back corner of the restaurant, a string quartet began to play, taking over for the pianist. The notes danced around the room, sweet yet mournful, and Van felt a shift in the room. The steady hum and chatter softened as people strained to hear, their desire to speak squashed by a stronger desire to listen. Without the noise, Van felt even more exposed.

But when she opened her mouth to repeat her request to leave, Luca grabbed her hand and guided her to the dance floor. Several other couples were present, their footwork complicated and flawless. Luca twirled her to silence her protests, but it wasn't the sudden movement that stole her voice. It was the heavy weight of his hand on her waist.

"She's being led to the kitchen." He spoke directly into her ear. "She was going to walk right by us."

"Oh." Van swallowed her disappointment. For a moment, she thought maybe this had been a romantic gesture. A poorly timed one, but all the same... Turned out she was wrong on both accounts. It was a perfectly timed distraction.

Luca stiffened and pulled back. His eyes searched hers for a moment before he tugged her closer to his chest. She relished the solid warmth and wondered how he could make her feel both safe and scared at the same time. It was a question she easily answered when he dipped and twirled her again, his full lips stretched into a charming smile as he pulled her back to him. She knew he could protect her with his strength and speed. In fact, he already had on more than one occasion. It was her heart that was in danger when she was around him.

"You don't have to keep up the pretense," she said, grabbing his shoulders to catch her balance after a particularly fast spin. "Trixie isn't in the room."

"Well, that's a shame," he replied. "I like holding you."

"Luca," she said, swallowing hard as they held one another's gaze. So many unspoken wants passed between them. So many obstacles fell away as heat flashed through his dark brown eyes.

He jerked as if she'd struck him. "Shit."

They were on the move again, weaving through tables fast enough to draw attention, but no one stopped them. Luca never let go of her hand, his grip tighter than necessary but not painful. Van grit her teeth in a facsimile of an apologetic smile as her hip careened into a table. There would be a bruise tomorrow.