Trying

Draco woke up a few minutes before his alarm went off, and since he had taken a bath last night instead of this morning, he had plenty of extra time. He unpacked his trunk, pulling out the small vial of cologne, the liquid inside was a milky, pale blue. He also pulled out a nice button up shirt that he hadn't gotten around to wearing yet. It was a slate grey shirt with bright silver buttons. He pulled on a pair of slim fitting black trousers, which looked much nicer than the baggy ones he had been sporting. He put the shirt on, taking the time to tuck it in. He decided to leave the top two buttons unclasped, a smile appearing as he remembered Potter's wandering eyes from last night. He dabbed a bit of cologne at his pulse points and was extra careful to comb his hair perfectly into place.

Draco looked in the mirror. He looked quite dashing, but last minute he decided to throw on a belt, it was made of a soft, black leather and had a shining silver buckle. He chose grey socks to go with his shirt and sat down on his bed to tie his shoes. It had been a long time since Draco took the few extra minutes to look put together. It felt wonderful.

***

Draco entered his potions class a few minutes early with a pep in his step, confidence flowing in his veins. He slid into his seat just as Potter and Granger entered. Draco tilted his chin up a bit as he looked over at them. He locked eyes with Potter, a single eyebrow cocked upwards. Granger took her seat as Potter stood at the end of his desk, bookbag in hand, staring stupidly. Potter held the gaze for a few seconds longer before directing his attention to emptying his bag out onto the desk in front of him. 'Now I've got your attention, Potter' Draco thought to himself.

Draco scratched down notes absentmindedly throughout the lesson, not like he needed it though. Potions had always come easily to him. Much to his delight, Draco caught Potter staring at him multiple times during the lecture, his eyes darker than their usual bright, brilliant green. The bell rang and Draco gathered his thing and he noticed Potter lingering at his desk after Granger had left.

"Um. Draco?" He asked.

Once again, the sound of his first name falling from the Gryffindor's lips sent a shiver down his spine.

"Yeah?" He replied. Potter's eyes drifted to Draco's lips as he spoke.

"I uh. I wanted to talk to you in private, if that's alright. Maybe you could meet me during free period." He trailed off, licking his lips as his eyes came to rest at Draco's throat, where his shirt still fell open. Draco's lips curved into a brilliant smile.

"Whatever you say, Potter. Your wish is my command." Draco said, a flirtatious tone apparent in his voice. Harry blushed wickedly, a chuckle rising in his chest.

"Alright. Meet me by the dock."

"I'll be there." Draco said with a wink. He laughed at himself as he walked away. Hopefully he was reading this right. He had never been so openly forward in his life, not like that was saying much.

***

The bell rang for Draco's final class before his free period. He took off his school robes and wandlessly sent them to his room with a wave of his hand. Thoughts raced through his mind as he exited the castle and headed towards the dock. He took a seat at the edge, peering over the glassy surface. He twirled his hand absentmindedly, sending ripples through the dark water. He sat there for a few minutes before he heard footsteps patting behind him, then Potter sat down next to him. They sat in silence for a while, and Potter just watched Draco as he manipulated the water with wandless magic.

"What's been on your mind lately?" The raven haired boy asked.

"What? What do you mean?"

"You've been different." Potter said. "In a good way, though." he added, moving closer.

"The only real difference is that I no longer have people controlling me." Draco said, looking Potter in those eyes he had grown to love. Potter looked down.

"It's been wonderful, Draco. Getting to know you. I never thought I would say that." He said, his lips pulled into a sideways smile.

Draco laughed. "Me either." He said, rubbing the back of his sore neck.

They went silent again, and Harry stared at his feet hanging over the dock.

"Was that all?" Draco asked as the silence went on longer.

"Um. There was one other thing." He said, still looking down.

"Yeah? And what's that?" Draco asked, his voice was cool and soft. Harry looked up, his cheeks pink with a fresh blush. Draco leaned forward and grabbed Potter's chin. He looked into those green eyes, which flicked down to Draco's lips once again. That was all the invitation he needed. Draco closed the gap between their lips, his hand moving from Potter's chin to the back of his neck. Harry stayed stiff and unmoving. Draco pulled away and the other boy's face was glaringly red now.

"I really never thought that would happen." He said, breaking into a laugh. Draco laughed too, and soon, both of them were doubled over laughing, clutching their stomachs. They didn't realize how long they had been sitting there until the bell rang.

"Hey." Potter said, standing up from where they sat on the dock.

"Yeah?" Draco replied.

"I'll get you later." He said, before hurrying back towards the castle.

Draco just sat there for a moment, bewildered by what had just happened. He touched his fingertips to his lips and chuckled, low and deep. Maybe this wasn't such a problem after all.

***

Draco took his seat beside Harry without a second thought. He couldn't keep the smile off his face. He carried on laughing and joking as Harry rested his hand on Draco's arm under the table. He ate with one hand, not daring to move his arm.

AUTHOR'S NOTE

more coming soon! Please vote and comment!