Chapter 1

Six months in a place as bright and cheery as Auradon is a long time. It feels even longer when very little seems to change despite all your efforts.

This is a concept that Hayden has become intimately familiar with since Ben's coronation. He's spent months scheduling meetings with the royal council, trying to convince them to open the Isle's barrier, to allow more children to leave, and to send actual supplies on the barges.

The fact that he's still in Auradon and the Isle is still closed shows just how productive his efforts have been.

He had help in the beginning. Mal, Evie, Jay, and Carlos were all for improving conditions at the least in the beginning. The longer their stay in Auradon has gone on, however, the more they've pulled away from everything they came from.

Even Ben has been little to no help, instead getting sucked into being a new king which, apparently, means nothing but ceremonies and events and publicity stunts.

Really, Hayden thinks, there's only been one benefit to staying in Auradon.

He looks across the empty courtyard from his place leaning against a picnic table and smiles as Lady Persephone gently trails her fingertips along the edges of a tulip. The flower blooms brighter under her touch, the entire plant seeming fuller and healthier.

She returns his smile as she crosses the courtyard to sit on the edge of the table, legs crossed like a proper lady and mischief dancing in her dark eyes.

"So," she drawls, "you head back to the Underworld tomorrow. I won't see you for three whole days." She fake pouts. "You're really gonna leave your poor mother here?"

He sends her an amused look. "I don't have a choice," he reminds her. "Besides, I need a little doom and gloom. This place is still way too bright for my tastes."

"I wonder where you get that attitude from," she says dryly before sending him a smirk that just screams trouble. "By the way, do me a favor when you get home and tell your father I know what he did."

Hayden cocks one eyebrow. "What did he do?" he asks curiously.

Persephone shrugs. "Nothing I know of. I just like to keep him on his toes." He can't help but laugh at that explanation as he agrees to tell him. "So," she continues, "any plans before you leave?"

Hayden immediately rolls his eyes. "I've got another meeting with the royal council," he sighs.

Persephone frowns at him from her seat on the tabletop. "Have you made any progress with those stubborn bigots?" she asks.

"Not nearly enough," he tells her as he starts to pace in frustration. "It doesn't help that the council's so stacked, either. The only members are 'true' royalty. I just know that if Mulan and Shang or even Aladdin were in these meetings then I might actually have a shot at changing some things."

The goddess leaps lightly off the table, black floral dress fluttering around her ankles, and crosses over to her pacing son. "Hey, now," she scolds lightly, "watch your tone, young man."

Hayden looks at her in confusion, coming to a stop as she steps in front of him with her hands planted on her hips. "What tone?"

"That defeated they've-already-beaten-me tone," she says. "Are you really going to let those prissy Auradonians win?" she asks pointedly. "The Olympians?"

Flames start to spark in his black curls at the thought. "Of course not," he denies fiercely. "I've still got almost six months to open the Isle. I'm using every second I've got. And, hey, if the deal falls through," he shrugs and sends her a wicked smirk, "I claim King Ben's soul and we do things the fun way instead."

Persephone looks at him with a small smile. "You've got a little..." She gestures at her own dark curls.

Hayden glances up and runs his hands through his hair, smothering the fire. "I'm fine. I'm fine. I'm cool. I'm fine."

Persephone's smile grows a little wider as she cups her son's cheek in one manicured hand. "Oh, little hemlock," she sighs. "You are your father's son."

Hayden returns her smile before it falls as his eyebrows furrow in question. "Do you miss him?" he asks. "In the spring and summer, I mean?"

"Every year," she admits as she drops her hand. "I've only got about five months left until autumn now but... well, it never really gets any easier."

There's a beat of silence before she sends her son a slightly sad smile.

"I suppose you're learning that for yourself though, hm? You haven't seen that pirate of yours since you left the Isle, have you?"

Hayden looks at her with wide eyes before he turns away to hide his pink face. "I don't know what you're talking about," he denies.

Persephone laughs, a sound as light as a spring breeze. "Oh, I think you do. Hook's boy? Harry? My future son-in-law?" she teases.

"Mother!"

She just laughs again, enjoying the chance to do something so simple as tease her son about his love life.

"How do you even know about me and Harry?" he asks. "Not that there's anything to know about," he quickly adds.

Persephone raises one eyebrow in an almost eerily familiar way. "Nothing, huh? What about those plans to spend half of every year sailing together?"

"How...?"

"A mother always knows," she says airily.

Hayden gives her a deadpan look as he figures it out. "The Fates," he says flatly.

"Yes," Persephone admits without shame. "Your father and I had to have some way to check in on you while you were on that dreadful island."

He gives her a curious look. "And you two are okay with- with us?"

"I like Harry," she tells him honestly. "Hades does too, even if he won't admit it." Hayden smiles a little at that. "More importantly," she adds, "you like Harry. Maybe even lo-"

"Right," Hayden interrupts. "Well, I've got a meeting to get to."

Persephone gives him a knowing look that he resolutely ignores. She shakes her head a little before cupping his face in her gentle hands. He obligingly ducks his head so she can press a kiss to his forehead. "Knock 'em dead, son," she tells him.

He smirks at the pun as he turns and slinks off toward the council's meeting room.