Chapter 13

Uma's cabin is just as worn down as anything else found on the Isle but, somehow, manages to look like it's meant to be that way. There's a large, ancient looking desk pushed against one wall and a faded hammock hanging in the corner. She has fishing nets strung up from the ceiling and across the walls with various seashells, coral pieces, and dried sea stars caught inside.

She pushes Ben into the room, uncaring as he almost trips. Hayden closes the door behind them while she drags an old chest to the middle of the floor, gesturing for the king to take a seat.

He does, his still tied hands held in front of him as he looks up at the two villains' kids.

"Hayden?" he says in mild confusion. "I thought you were supposed to be in the Underworld until Friday?"

"I was," Hayden says with a nod. "Then, Mal, Evie, Jay, and Carlos showed up because you managed to get captured by pirates."

"They figure Hayden here is the only person who can, you know, get you back safely and talk me out of using the wand," Uma explains, arms crossed as she leans one hip on the edge of her desk.

"Which is why I put a stop to everything happening out there," he adds, nodding his head toward the cabin's door.

They all pause as a couple of shouts and what is undoubtedly the sound of clashing swords comes through the thick wood.

"Well, almost everything," Uma notes with amusement.

Hayden shrugs. "They'll be fine," he says dismissively before looking at Ben. "Believe me, you're lucky I was here," he tells him seriously.

"What do you mean?" Ben asks. "I mean, don't get me wrong, I'm thankful and everything but..."

Hayden looks to Uma. "What was it gonna be?" he asks. "Mind control? Love spell?"

Ben looks startled at the question while Uma just shrugs. "Bit of both," she admits with a smirk. "More of a love spell with a compulsion charm to do what I say."

He nods slowly. "Clever," he tells her honestly. "It would have worked, would have fit all the criteria."

Ben looks at them with wide eyes. "What are you talking about?"

"Our deal," Hayden explains. "I told you, Ben, I was very generous when we made it. The only real condition was that you had a year to bring more children to Auradon and to provide real provisions, a real life, for the residents."

"Right..." Ben says slowly.

Hayden gives him a pointed look. "Key word there being you. You have to be the one to open the barrier and change things." He shrugs casually. "Given the fact that, as king, you have to sign the official orders to do it, I figured it would be simple enough."

"Except the royal council has been blocking you every time you try to get them to agree to change the laws," Ben says in realization.

"Right."

"Wait," Ben says, shaking his head, "I just-" He turns to Uma. "You were going to use the wand to cross the barrier so you could- could spell me to give the orders?"

"Pretty much," she says casually. "I know a bit about deals myself, the fine print and all that." She nods her head in Hayden's direction. "He never specified that it had to be of your own free will."

He looks at Hayden in shock, his eyes wide. "That would have worked?"

Hayden snorts. "Of course, it would have," he tells him. "Why do you think I was so vague about the details?" He gives him a too-wide grin. "I like loopholes."