Chapter 8

"So, uh, has anyone ever actually been to Hayden's place?" Carlos asks as they make their way to the west side of the Isle.

"No, actually," Evie admits. "At least, I haven't." She glances over at Mal and Jay who both shake their heads.

"I just know where it is," Jay says, "and that everyone avoids it."

"Why is that?" Carlos asks curiously.

Mal shrugs. "He's got that entrance to the Underworld. His house is the closest thing to a source of magic on the Isle but, even then, it's not magic like, you know, fairies," she gestures to herself, "or wands. It's gods and goddesses, ancient powers by anyone's standards," she explains.

Before they can contemplate that thought any more, they turn a corner and Hayden's house comes into view.

It's a black stone building, worn down and crumbling in places like everything else on the Isle but in relatively good condition. It has a distinctly Greek design to it with great carved columns in the front. There's a statue of Cerberus in the front yard which is full of poisonous plants and a few bare trees.

They pass through a creaky wrought iron gate that wouldn't look out of place in a graveyard, the statue standing guard right beside the entrance.

"Any chance that's to scale?" Carlos asks hopefully, looking up at the three snarling heads that come to only about a foot-and-a-half taller than him.

"To guard the Underworld?" Jay asks doubtfully. "Not a chance."

Mal looks around as they walk up the long pathway to the front door. "Is it just me or is it darker now? It looks like it's the middle of the night over here."

The other three look around, noticing the same.

"Huh," Evie hums thoughtfully. "I guess it's always the devil's hour here."

"Why would you say that?" Carlos asks with a sigh. Evie just sends him an amused smirk.

They come to the front door, black, of course, that has an iron knocker shaped like a skull. The mouth hangs open, so you have to use the jaw to knock. There's a sign screwed into the wall beside the door covered in a light layer of dust.

Jay reaches out to wipe it off and they can see Greek writing with an English translation beneath. "No loitering. No living," Jay reads.

Evie sighs. "Why am I not surprised?"

"Do you think Hayden will be offended if I tell him I don't like his house?" Carlos asks. "Because, so far, I don't like his house."

"You better toughen up if we're headed to the Underworld," Mal warns him. She reaches out and knocks with the jawbone, waiting a couple of seconds before she reaches for the iron door handle.

Jay gives her an odd look. "Why'd you knock? He's not here."

Mal just shrugs back. "I don't know. It felt right," she explains defensively. She slowly opens the door, wincing as it creaks, and they all step into a dark room. As soon as they take a few steps in the door closes behind them, far too quick for how heavy it actually is.

All four of them jump as it slams. As soon as it's closed, the lights turn on. A big chandelier made of what looks like various bones lights up, six black candles burning with blue hellfire. A few torches, placed strategically on the walls, do the same.

They're in an open plan kitchen and living room, the two rooms divided by an old and chipped dining table. They can see three other doors, one most likely leading to the bedroom and another to the bathroom.