Chapter 34

Song
Meduzza, Becky Hill, Good boys — Lose Control

__________________________

I wake up the next morning to the sweet smell of toaster waffles and coffee. I jump out of bed and take a shower, then dress in a navy fleece and jeans. I tie my hair up in a ponytail with a denim scrunchie, pull on my tall fur–trimmed boots, then add a scarf to my outfit because it's freezing outside.

Mrs McAllister is already in the kitchen making toaster waffles. She has her robe cinched tight around her waist and a newspaper tucked under her arm. "Good morning," She trills when she sees me. "You're up pretty early today."

She sets a cup of coffee in front of me, along with a plate stacked with steaming golden–brown pecan waffles and a bottle of homemade raspberry–peach syrup. "Thanks, Mrs McAllister," I say courteously, pouring the syrup carefully, a drop in each square.

"Where is everyone?" I ask through a mouthful of waffle.

"Still asleep."

"Oh." I shove another bite into my mouth, watching as she ladles batter onto the toaster. She hums to herself as she works, her auburn hair frizzier than ever in the humidified air.

After I'm done breakfasting, I clear my dishes from the table and bid Mrs McAllister goodbye. "Do you need a ride to school?" She calls after me.

"Thanks, but no thanks, Mrs McAllister! Jax's picking me up," I call back. I bound out the door, teasing my hair out so it looks wild and dramatic. Then I wait in front of the house to wait for Jax, shoving my earphone into my ears and searching iTunes library for music. The McAllisters have a wide wraparound porch, and a pretty porch swing made of dark rosewood. I park myself on it, pushing with my foot to jettison forward.

Jax doesn't show up.

I keep glancing at my phone occasionally. He said he'd be here. He knows the address too, so there's no excuse. I wait for a few more minutes, but when he's still a no–show. Frustrated, I hop of the swing and start walking briskly to school. I'm only two blocks away when I realize that I forgot my gloves at home, and my hands are already mottled pink from the cold. I shove them into my pockets and keep walking.

Pretty soon the school comes into view, and I spot the lush football field looming ahead. The jocks are practising for their next game. I can see Josh in the distance. He's shirtless and soaked with sweat, his hair curlier and darker than usual. There are a couple of girls on the sidelines watching, and I can tell they're all mesmerized by him as he makes perfect pass after perfect pass.

I plop down on the ground at the base of a gnarled mahogany tree, and pull out Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice. 

"What'cha doing?"

I look up to see Luke staring down at me out of thick Buddy Holly frames. He's wearing a peacoat and a long tartan scarf, his cheeks stained pink from the cold.

"Just reading a book," I shrug.

He makes himself comfortable beside me and glances at the book over my shoulder. " ‘She had never seen a place for which nature had done more, or where natural beauty had been so little counteracted by an awkward taste’ — what the hell's this?"

"Pride and Prejudice," I say. "Hey, where's Brad?"

"It's his turn to take the kids to school," Luke smirks, sprawling out in the snow. "Ha. Sucks to be him."

"Don't get too comfortable just yet," I say. "The bell will ring any minute now." As of on cue the school bell begins to chime, and Luke groans as he gets to his feet.