Chapter 40

Song
I Can't Believe CYN

_________________________

Later that evening I'm putting on my new avocado pyjamas; a top that says 'I Avo Crush On You' and matching green avocado–print shorts, when my phone begins to buzz in a frenzy on my bed. Rubbing excess water from my hair with a towel, I pick up the phone and squint down at it, sliding my thumb across the unlock screen.

Mona 7:40 PM
Code red! Meet me outside ASAP!

Code red? What the heck does that even mean?

7:41 PM
Whatever spy mission you've got planned, leave me out of it.

I send the text and toss my phone onto my bed again. I select my shabby compilation of the complete works of Jane Austen and settle down to read, a flower–patterned quilt tucked around me as I recline among the soft pillows mounded on the bed. Heaven. I'm still engrossed in Jane Austen's elegant banter when my phone buzzes again.

Mona 7:43 PM
Believe me, Anna, you need to see this!

Groaning, I trudge across the room to the window and pull the sheer blue curtains aside. Mona is standing on the pavement, her flaming red hair as vivid as ever amid the thick white snow. She glances up and sees me, the clasps here hands in front of her in a begging motion. "Please!" She whisper–yells.

I sigh, letting the curtains drop again. The things I do for Mona.

I change out of my pyjamas, grab my boots and an odd navy blue knitted stocking cap and head downstairs. Mom and Tony are cuddled up on the couch watching a basketball game on TV. "I'm going out!" I call, hurrying outside before Mom can stop me.

"Be back before ten!" She calls.

It's snowing like crazy outside — the yard is starting to look like a cotton field. My skin looks pale and perfect in the moonlight, translucent like quartz crystal. Goosebumps are beginning to form on my neck, and I rub at at them to make them go away. I'm not properly dressed for the cold, I realize. I'm wearing a hooded sweatshirt and embroidered Levi's with turn–up cuffs, whereas Mona is wearing a black PVC coat over a black turtleneck sweater, a black beanie and a black velvet patchwork scarf.

"Are we robbing a bank?" I ask stupidly, hitching my glasses up my nose. My eyes were so dry and irritated that I didn't bother with my contact lenses today, and instead I'm wearing a pair of sensible wire–rims I ordered online for a discount. Mom pays for my contacts, but I'm a bit more comfortable with wearing my glasses from time to time. First, because I missed wearing them and second, I definitely don't want to become that girl from She's All That.

"No, we're not robbing a bank," Mona clarifies as we begin to walk. "We're spying on Luke."

Okay . . . ?

Mona sees me shivering and hands me her scarf, which I gratefully accept. "So, why are we spying on Luke?" I ask curiously.

"Remember that time he had a date, but he wouldn't tell us who the girl was?"

"Yeah?" I puff air onto my hands, trying to warm my frozen fingertips.

"Well, he's meeting her at the Coffee Hut today. This is our chance to find out she is," She says resolutely. Her breath fogs up in the air in front of her like little clouds.

"Are you sure that's a good idea, Mona?" I ask uneasily. "He'll probably just tell us when he's ready."

"Anna, I'm not being paranoid, okay? Something's definitely fishy, and I need to know what." By now we're in front of the Coffee Hut, and Mona is already pushing the door open. A life-giving blast of warm air envelopes us as we go inside.