Chapter 38

Song
Lift Me From The GroundSan Solo

__________________________

Three more college acceptance letters arrive for me in the next two days. One from James Madison, one from UVA and even one from William And Mary. All in–state. I'm beginning to contemplate applying at the University of North Carolina, so Jax and I can be together — only that would be hypocritical of me, because I made up my mind that I wouldn't ever be the girl who would give up everything just for a guy. Gosh, it's doing my head in just thinking about it.

I'm sitting in the wicker hanging chair in my room poring over the admission letters when Brad comes in without knocking, as usual. I toss a pillow at him. "Can't you knock?"

"The door was already open," He says defensively. He leans against the door, watching me. "Hey, there's a Pixar movie playing at the movies today. Tom Holland played one of the characters, and I know for a fact that you're crazy about him. Wanna come?"

"Yes, please!"

"Then get off your butt and get dressed. We're leaving in ten."

I carefully stack the letters in my desk drawer, then hurry to the closet to pick out an outfit. After two minutes of searching I find the perfect one; a mod ice pink babydoll dress and a satin colour-blocked bomber jacket. I put them on and pin my hair up in an asymmetrical front braid, adding a pair of edgy black platform combat boots to my outfit to keep me from looking too innocent or vanilla. Then I hurry outside, grabbing my pocketbook on my way out of the room.

Brad is waiting impatiently in the driver's seat, honking the car horn repeatedly. Mona's sitting in the front seat next to him. I falter a bit. I didn't know Mona was coming along too. Now I'm going to feel like the third wheel.

"Hi, Mona," I say, plopping down in the backseat.

She smiles at me. "Hi, Anna. Cute outfit."

"Thank you," I say proudly, smoothing down my dress.

The ride to the theater is a long and awkward one. I stay silent and busy myself with playing Candy Crush on my phone while Mona chatters on to Brad. Once we finally arrive at the theater, Mona and Brad get in line for popcorn, so I go inside and grab seats for them, dumping my stuff on them so people will know they're occupied. Mona and Brad are gone for a long time however, and when they return the movie has already started.

"What took you guys so long?" I ask crossly, as Mona slips into the seat bride me, her arms laden with bags of Sour Patch Kids and a large bucket of sweet and sour popcorn.

"Nothing," She says, but she has that glint in her eyes. I don't ask her any more questions, because I definitely don't want a replay of whatever they were up to. I settle down instead to watch the antics of the two elf brothers in Onward while Brad and Mona whisper to each other in the dark.

It's still light out once the movie's over, so Brad suggests we check out some party that his friend is throwing. I decline because I'm starving and all I want is peace and quiet and some fries from Wendy's. Brad drops me off there with a promise that he'll be back to pick me up and leaves with Mona.

For once the diner isn't crowded. It's practically empty, and the only people around are a group of rowdy boys at a table right at the center of the dining floor. I let out a groan of frustration when I catch a flash of someone's familiar perfectly coiffed antique-gold hair amongst them. Josh fricking Miller. God, this boy is everywhere. He's sitting with his chair tipped back, surrounded by his four lackeys — Leo, Hugh, Jonathan and Andrew. They are the type of guys who worship him, the type who'd do anything to be popular.