Maid of Moonlight

MAID OF MOONLIGHT

"Madness and greatness are two sides of the same coin

"Madness and greatness are two sides of the same coin. Every time a new Targaryen is born, the gods toss the coin in the air and the world holds its breath to see how it will land."

DORNE

     LORD VARYS, upon arriving to Dorne, had been taken aback by the site of Naelyra Targaryen. And perhaps that was because he was expecting something different.

Upon being greeted by Ellaria Sand and her Sand Snakes -- who bore the typical Dornish looks with lovely olive skin, dark eyes, equally dark hair, and corded arms that displayed skills with weaponry --  he had anticipated that Naelyra Targaryen would also favor her Dornish blood. Rhaenys Targaryen, her late sister, was described to have dark hair and amethyst eyes, and even Aegon had appeared to take after his mother's skin tone. Naturally, he had surmised an image of her in his mind, but when it came to view her, it contrasted distractedly. 

He had first seen her after his meeting with Ellaria Sand, who agreed to help stand behind the Dragon Queen; of course, this came with her own agenda. In order to truly defeat the Lannisters, Ellaria and her sand snakes requested the aid of Daenerys Targaryen and her armies, her dragons, and her artillery to acquire Cersei Lannister's head on a silver platter. 

The alliance had come easily, though The Spider had not thought otherwise. The Targaryen girl, however, was a different story.

"I will not agree to give her hand to The Young Wolf," Ellaria Sand had prefaced as she reclined on what was once Naelyra's uncle rightful throne. Her gauzy dress billowed around her, a golden goblet in hand as the neckline dipped to reveal bronzed skin, "it is not my place to decide, that is." 

Lord Varys had forced a bitter smile at her words, "No, I suppose it is not." His eyes traveled to the Sand Snakes, who had noticeably grimaced at the mention of their cousin, "where is the Princess?"

"Likely near the sea, Lord Varys," one of the Sand Snakes responded -- Tyene, he believed -- and who smiled grimly, "It appears she is not quite happy to be bonded so soon to a man she does not know."

And so Ellaria Sand had taken his arm, leading him through the Dornish gardens where it was rumored that Myrcella Baratheon -- Lannister -- had liked to avidly stroll with her betrothed, that is, before she was murdered by the woman who now led him to Naelyra Targaryen. 

Before nearing the balcony, he noted a familiar roar -- the cry of a winged beast, a sound that he was well acquainted with as he traversed the castle of Dragonstone. Though, it was to note that this beast's cries were not as guttural as Drogon's, who was the largest out of Daenerys' children. This dragon's roar was more high-pitched, more ear deafening in a way that he could not pinpoint.