The Execution

"We can't hide behind small mercies

"We can't hide behind small mercies."

NAELYRA

                 Robb Stark would pass the sentence, as explained to Naelyra that it was a tradition of the North that the one who  passed the order would serve out the execution. Lyra was not sure how she felt about the act, considering it was a young maid's head that would roll, and the disfavor the people of the North might feel losing their own over a Targaryen. 

"She conspired against you," Robb had said in response, "meaning she conspired against her King, knowing rightfully well what circumstances you arrived here on. I will pass the sentence."

Lyra had hummed in acknowledgement and wondered if she should thank him -- or feel some brief moment of flattery -- but none came. She tried to think on the same manner of how Daenerys would, but knew the answer ultimately -- she would command Drogon with a simple dracarys and watch the maid burn alive without another thought. 

Plus, what Robb had said was true -- the offense was not only directed towards Naelyra but the Young Wolf as well, since the maid had chosen to go against his wishes of no harm befalling the Targaryen Princess. The maid had disrespected him, and thus, it was a strike against House Stark. 

Naelyra was unsure of how to feel about the order, choosing not to mention it in her re-written letter to Daenerys, considering the other had dried into a dark brown from the oxidized blood of the man she killed. 

Sansa Stark seemed to take great interest in the whole affair, as the redhead appeared more often to converse with Naelyra. The chats were surface level, pointless conversation about the weather or people neither cared to discuss or books they would make brief remarks about, never delving further. 

On the day before the maid's execution, Sansa had come into the library where Naelyra typically resided -- besides the lengthy flights she would take on Vhagara's back -- and had said, "you proposed the maid be sent to Castle Black instead."

Lyra glanced up at her, blinking at the redhead with a frown before closing the book on her lap, "I am aware of how outlandish that idea may seem."

"Certainly," Sansa Stark responded without hesitance, "considering it is filled with rapists and murderers." 

"It is in dire need of a diligent housekeeper," Lyra smartly remarked, "the dust in that castle is simply dreadful."

Sansa Stark guffawed, amused at the Targaryen Princess' words. Lyra assumed that was the conclusion of the conversation but after a moment, the Stark girl did not leave. Sansa took it upon herself to sit across from her, offering an appraising look, "may I ask you something?"