Prologue

"Alyssa?"

No response.

Avery Atkinson took another step onto the dark roof. The night covered swallowed up the area in front of her. No one was in sight.

Dread filled Avery as she gripped the note she had received earlier. She knew she never should've followed a typed note. There was no way to tell if the handwriting matched the supposed sender. Besides, Alyssa would never send a typed note telling Avery to meet on the school roof.

This was a trap. It had to be.

How could I have been so stupid?

Avery stuffed the note into her pocket and exchanged it for a knife. At least she had enough sense to carry it wherever she went. Then again, she only did it because Jason ordered them to. Looking around one more type for Alyssa, Avery turned on her heel and headed back to the door.

A cool breeze washed over her as she turned the doorknob, only to discover that it was locked. Her heart dropped. She twisted it again to no avail.

Cursing to herself, she turned back around and looked at the empty roof around her. She suddenly felt very exposed. Anyone could've been hiding in the shadows, watching her every move. Her strawberry-blonde hair was bright enough to be spotted from a distance, even in the night. And she wasn't that good of a fighter. She learned the basics from Jason, but she doubted it would be enough to fight against someone from the Circumvent.

Avery stepped forward, wracking her brain.

Think, Avery. Think. What now?

Avery pulled out her phone. If she could call Jason or Alyssa, even Lasiya, they might be able to save her. Or at least they would know not to fall for any typed notes if she didn't make it out. Avery was about to click on a number when she heard the gravel crunch. Her head whipped up.

Avery looked around, trying to determine where the footstep came from. Another footstep echoed across the silent roof. This time, Avery was able to pinpoint the location. She turned and looked to her right where a hooded figure stood.

Avery gulped. "Alyssa?" she asked, praying that it was her and not someone else.

The hooded figure took a larger step forward and Avery got her answer.

It wasn't Alyssa.

The TV flickered on, illuminating the two-star motel room

The TV flickered on, illuminating the two-star motel room. The bed creaked as he sat down on the bed, pulling out a file from the beside shelf.

The TV blared, playing a breaking news reel across the screen.

"Breaking News: Lexington High School student Avery Atkinson was found dead after jumping off the school roof and committing suicide. Officials believe she had jumped late last night. A suicide note was left on the roof from where she jumped. Friends and family are now mourning her death..."

The newsreel trailed off, but Ryder wasn't listening anymore. An ounce of guilt crept through his chest. He pushed it down. Ryder flipped through the files, various names flashing by:

Sophie Whitlock.

Vera Reinhart.

Tyler Turnpike.

Maya Mendoza.

Michael Mendoza.

Jordan Kleizmick.

Lasiya Agrawal.

Alyssa Adler.

Lyle Gray.

Finally, Avery's file came into view. Ryder looked once at the picture before grabbing a red marker. He drew a large 'X' through the picture. At the bottom of the page, next to the 'Status' line, he wrote the words:

Target Eliminated.

A/N: Welcome back. Enjoy the ride. (And don't forget to vote...) :)