Chapter 1

Alyssa Adler,

I know what you're trying to do. I know who you're trying to defeat. It won't work. Trust me on that.

If I were you, I would focus more on protecting your friends. Especially Jason Hargrove. I wonder what the Circumvent would do if they ever realize that he's still alive...

Watch out.

-Secret Keeper

~Alyssa~

"Welcome back, bitches."

I towered above the crowd of girls looking up in awe as I stood straight on the table, addressing them.

We were gathered in the west courtyard after school, the halls around us close to empty. I had told Maya and a couple of other accomplished girls from all walks of life to send out notes to all those who were deemed worthy. I had to admit, they're selections weren't bad, although there were a few girls that I wanted to kick off the list. But, I let them stay. Perhaps they would prove themselves later in my presence.

The only person missing was Vera, although she already told me she couldn't come to my annual sleepover since she has a meeting with her therapist. Of course, I was pissed, but I had respected the fact that she was finally getting the treatment she needed, after all these years.

I swear to god, the next time I see her parents, I don't think I would be able to hold back from punching them in the face.

"You're all invited to the best sleepover of your lives. The only one who can top mine, is me. Dress well and be ready because I will not tolerate anyone sloppy or unenergetic enough. If you decide to be party-pooper, you will be kicked out, right there and then. And we won't be providing transportation back home for failures, so you will be left in the middle of the street at three o' clock in the morning and have to figure out your own way home. Understand?"

All heads nodded vigorously in unison.

"Good. You're expected to be in the Bel Air hotel by eight tonight. No earlier or later."

"Wait," some girl with brunette hair and an awful green crop-top interrupted. "The sleepover is tonight?"

"Yes," I met her eyes with a hard glare. "Is that a problem?"

"No," she mumbled. "I just didn't expect it be on such short notice..."

"We move fast. If you can't keep up, you can leave," I told her. The girl remained silent and I continued. "Your recruiters should've given you the invitation and all necessary information. Now get home and get dressed. Like I said, I don't want to see any sloppiness. And please stop wearing green crop-tops in a lazy attempt to match your eyes."