Chapter 2

I opened my eyes and looked at the dark outline of him. "Who are you? Who am I? Where am I? Why am I here? Why can't I remember anything?!" I hissed.

Silence for a moment. "My name's Kenneth, you're Princess Harlow, you're at a Noble's house just across the border of Nothora, and you're here for many reasons. As for why you can't remember anything, I haven't the slightest inkling."

"I've got time," I replied softly.

He sighed, "three days ago a man rode into town, he claimed you were the Princess, and that you'd just fallen from your horse just as you crossed the border, said you were barely breathing. A dangerous poison was coursing through your veins. You've been missing for five months. The King and Queen are on their way, but everyone wants to know where you've been. I guess you don't even know, do you?"

Once again time seemed to stop.

Pieces and parts of the last five months came back in a rush, but it didn't make any sense. Many pieces of the puzzle were missing, and they just happened to be the important details.

The poison, who had poisoned me?

"Umm, Harlow? Are you okay?" Kenneth asked.

I closed my eyes for a moment, "yeah. Yeah I'm fine."

"Are you sure?" His voice laced with concern.

"I'm sure," I sat up and rested my head on the wall.

Kenneth struck a match and lit the candle once more, his boyish face danced in the flickering light. Silver-blue eyes glimmered, and his tan skin glowed orange. His ash brown hair was neatly trimmed and tangle free. Even though I had just met him, it felt like I've always known him.

"Do you remember anything? Anything at all?" He asked sitting in a wicker chair on the other side of a table that held a water basin.

I shook my head, "the only thing I remember is choppy."

"What do you remember?"

"The last thing I remember is seeing a yellow flame right before everything went black." I decided to keep the small things that came back when Kenneth mentioned the poison, for I wanted to be completely sure before I spoke.

We sat in silence for several minutes before anyone said anything. "I would appreciate it if you didn't mention this in the morning," he whispered getting up.

"Didn't mention what?" I asked confused.

He walked over to the table under the window, "that we met. The fact that we did could get me into trouble."

I nodded my head, "okay."

Kenneth nodded once, and blew out the candle, "thanks Harlow." And he left.

I laid there in the darkness for the longest of time, waiting for sleep to welcome me. When the first light of dawn showed up, more of the house started to wake up. Footsteps pounded up and down the hall outside the door, the clanking of pots and pans and the hushed tone of voices were the only things I could hear. Despite the noise, I managed to fall asleep once more.

~~~~~~~~~

When I woke, it was about mid day, but the blanket blocked out most of the light. I pulled it down, letting the bright light flow freely into the room, and smiled for the first time since I could remember. The room was spacious, but filled with furniture. A wardrobe sat in the corner opposite the door, at the foot of the bed was a sofa with an intricate design. A mahogany dresser sat next to a matching desk and chair, and across the room from the window was a mirror. When I looked in the mirror, I saw a tall girl with pale skin staring back at me. Her - my- chestnut brown hair was lazily pulled back in a loose ponytail, my green eyes sparkled, and I was wearing a white nightgown, the edges lined with lace.

I heard a soft knock on the door, "come in," I replied.

The door creaked open slightly and Kenneth slipped in carrying a bowl, "I thought you might like something to eat."

"Thanks," I took the bowl and sat at the desk to eat.

Steam rose from its contents, and upon a bite, I concluded it was pheasant soup. It was the best thing I'd ever tasted, and on my empty stomach it tasted like heaven. We sat in complete silence as I ate, and resumed talking when I was finished. "That was the best thing I've ever tasted," I said with a smile.

A shadow of a smile showed up on his face, "I'm glad you liked it, I'd offer you more, but you haven't eaten since you got here. Eating too much could make you sick again."

I nodded thoughtfully, "I appreciate that."

"The King and Queen will be here by tomorrow's sunset," Kenneth said opening the window, spilling fresh air into the room.

I stared out the window, "then they're in for a disappointment."

He spun around to face me, but I kept watch out the window, "what?!"

"Listen, Kenneth-"

"Just call me Keith."

"Listen Keith, before I go back, I need to figure out who I am. I need to find myself."

He stared at me, "what do you mean?"

"I need to figure out who I am. I've lost myself, the last five months are a blur, I want to know who I am before I go back. The world knows me, but I don't know the world, and I want to explore it." I stood and started looking through the dresser for clothes to change into.

"So what now? What do you plan to do?"

I looked up, "depends. Wanna go on an adventure?"

His face showed surprise, "depends."

"Depends on what?" I brushed a lock of hair from my face as I bent down to look through a lower drawer.

"When?" He leaned against the wall.

"Tonight. The darkest hour, when the house is quietest." I pulled out a white blouse and a plain blue-gray skirt. From the wardrobe I grabbed a light and heavy cloak. "Get us food that'll last at least a week, two horses, and I'm gonna need a weapon. Just something to protect us if danger comes our way."

Keith thought for a moment, "yeah, okay. I think I can gather the requested items."

"Okay, now shoo," I waved him out the door.

I searched through the desk for something to write with and ended up finding a blank journal bound in leather, a fancy feather quill and a small bottle of ink. "Bingo."

I exchanged my nightgown for the blouse and skirt, my feet would remain bare until I could find a pair of riding boots. As for my hair I convinced a servant girl to help me braid it real quick. As I studied myself in the mirror, I concluded that I was missing a few small details. A sword should be strapped at my waist, and a bow should've been slung over my shoulder. I opened the door and casually walked down the hall, looking for a door to the outside, but turned back thinking that if I wanted to gain their trust, I should probably stay in my room.

I tried not to pay too much attention to the rest of the day, and managed to get some sleep in before the darkest hour we planned to leave at. I snatched a bed sheet and rolled extra clothes and blankets in it, and was fastening my cloak when a dark shadow entered the room. "Keith, is that you?" I hissed.

"Yeah, I have everything ready, I even found a pair of boots for you," he grabbed my hand and led me through the house and out to the stables. "Here," he handed me the boots which I quickly slipped on.

"Alright, I'm ready," I stood after I tucked my feet into the boots.

"Where to first?" He asked in a hushed tone.

"As far away from the here as we can get in one night."

"Okay," and with that he led me to a horse and even boosted me up.

"I hope you know where we're going, 'cause I don't even know where we are," I said as he took my reins after he settled on his own mount.

The hooves clomping on the straw underfoot was the only sound as he led us out to the never ending blackness. "We'll head west, toward Buschington, that'll put us within a few days reach of Brookhaven, and a ways away from here."

I nodded, aware he couldn't see me. "Yeah."