The Introduction

Water.

Earth.

Fire.

Air.

Long ago, the four Nations lived in Harmony. Then, everything changed when the Fire Nation attacked.

Only the Avatar, Master of all Four Elements, could stop them. But... He vanished.

Decades passed before the Spirit World and past Avatars grew restless. Would the last Avatar ever come back? Where did he go?

They soon decided that the world needed a new Avatar. And now.

However, they knew the Avatar was still alive. He hadn't joined them in the Spirit World yet, after all. They just didn't know where. Almost as if he were in a deep sleep.

The Past Avatars had a vote, as this was an unusual situation. At the end of the vote, they had agreed that a Firebender would become the temporary Avatar. And, so, they chose a newborn infant, the daughter of a Fire Nation nobleman and his wife.

As the child grew, she discovered her unique gifts. Unfortunately, she also knew her Kingdom loathed the Avatar. So, she grew fearful for her own life. The child never dared to reveal her true self to her parents. She knew her parents were loyal to the Fire Lord and knew they'd turn her in, even if it were difficult for them to.

So, she faked her death.

She made it look like an accident. It was when the girl was about 10 years old. She and her father were taking a stroll along the wall that bordered their city. As she often did, she hopped on top of the wall, balancing as she walked beside her father.

He had warned her that she may accidentally fall, to which the child retorted that she wouldn't.

But, her father didn't know her plan. Young as she was, the child was intelligent.

She 'tripped' on her own foot, stumbling off the side of the wall. The girl felt guilty, as she heard her father desperately called her name. For added effect, she screamed. Granted, she didn't need to act for that...

After she had left her home, she wandered the land. Soon enough, she came to an Earth Kingdom city. There, she had met a great Bender by the name Toph. It took much convincing, but at night, the Temporary Avatar would train with Toph, learning to master Earth. She even learned to listen to the Earth, which proved to be rather useful.

Unfortunately for the child, the original Avatar soon was awoken. Her world could only have one Avatar. Otherwise, balance would greatly tip in one direction and cause complete chaos.

The Spirits knew that they couldn't just kill off the child. It was their impatience that brought her the control over all Four Elements.

So, they sent her to a new world. One that was in chaos. One that needed an Avatar.

And, this, dear children, is where our story really begins. The story of the Temporary Avatar, Suzume.