𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝟎𝟏. eat shit, bowers.

EAT SHIT, BOWERS.

▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅

DEAD BOY (book one)

DEAD BOY (book one).
°• CHAPTER ONE •°

" YOU DON'T THINK YOU'RE
THE ONLY OUTCAST HERE? "

▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅

THE FIRST THING DAXTON SHIELDS SEES WHEN HE OPENS THE DOOR TO HIS NEW HOUSE IS A BUNDLE OF THICK HAIR. It covers his face, his skin, he thinks he can even taste it. The next thing he knows, his back is hitting the porch with a cry of surprise and pain and a tongue is licking across his full cheeks.

His hands fly up to shield his face and jerks to get away from it. Daxton faintly heard an older male with a scolding tone call out, "Nala! Nala, no! Down, Nala!" Before arms were wrapping around the fluffy beast that tackled him and gently heaving her back as she panted in excitement. Daxton gasped out as air filled his lungs that once felt crushed again, accompanied by the same ache that began to dull.

Because his vision was no longer full of white and gray-colored fur, Daxton then saw the animal that attacked him was a husky dog. One eye was a striking crystal blue and the other was a mix of brown. Her tail had been wagging like mad behind her as a taller male with raven hair peppered in white kept her from attacking the younger boy again. "I'm so sorry," he apologized genuinely. "Nala is still learning not to jump on strangers."

Daxton says nothing. His heart is still beating faster every second. He had been balancing himself on his elbows while the man ushered the dog, Nala, back inside the house. Once the door was shut and separating them from the dog full of energy, Daxton watched as he extended his hand in an offer for help. He hadn't accepted it. Instead, his gaze flickered away and he had pushed himself back into a standing position. His legs wobbled from the impact that hit him but he was steady enough to hold his weight.

"Daxton Shields, right?" He guessed correctly.

Daxton's lips were pressed in a tight line but he nodded anyway. He could hear the woman who worked on his case lecture him again, her words bouncing in a rattle around his skull. Give them a chance. They're giving you one. But Daxton had yet to find a house that wasn't temporary. He didn't see this house as a possible home. He saw it as a door he'd enter and leave a few times before never coming across it again when they inevitably gave up on him. It wasn't much of a chance, he thought, but he was here without being given much of another choice.

"I'm Miles, Miles Griffith," he went on to introduce even though Daxton had kept his mouth shut the entire time. "We weren't sure when to expect you - Nala will be more behaved this time, you have my word. Lia can control her better than I do," he promised with his hand resting on the doorknob.