𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝟏𝟖. you're still a loser.

YOU'RE STILL A LOSER.

▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅

DEAD BOY (book one)

DEAD BOY (book one).
°• CHAPTER EIGHTEEN •°

" TAKE A LOOK AT THE
WONDER BROTHERS. "

▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅

DAXTON SHIELDS ALWAYS WONDERED WHY HIS CHILDHOOD WAS JUST A FOGGY MEMORY TO HIM, JUST OUT OF REACH. He always chalked it up as severe trauma. He knew he moved out of a small town in Derry when he was nineteen years old when they were called to serve. After that, it's blank. It's as if a huge piece of Daxton's life was missing. And it was scary to forget who you've grown from. It's as if he remembers the abandoned feeling his parents gave him, a few foster homes he was dumped in, then there's a timeline during his teenage years that's been severed from his memory. Maybe a part of him died and he just can't remember. This was as close as Daxton's ever got to remembering, and he couldn't turn his back now. He wanted answers, and there was something dragging him to the airport.

Charlie has always been endlessly more organized than Daxton. He's the one who handles booking the tickets while his brother messily packs their bags. Later, Daxton will get a lecture about their clothes not being folded, the various items he shoved in carelessly, but for now, they sit on the plane in a dead silence. Daxton can read Charlie better than anyone and knows he's thinking of his wife, his children, how hard it was to say he has to drop everything and leave out of nowhere, all because of one phone call. There were a lot of tears, but eventually, Tabitha respected and understood what he needed to do. This meant something to them, even if they didn't know what it was exactly.

For now, it was going to be one long-ass trip. Daxton and Charlie lived in a perfect house that they bought when they earned their place after they were done fighting. Tabitha moved in soon after and brought more to their little family. But Maine was on the other side of the country, so every hour of quiet that passes is like torture. Daxton would know, he has been through things that would have been considered more painful.

The plane nosediving sends Daxton's stomach churning. He knows this was it. It was like the final nail in their coffin after they dug their own grave, except in this case, Derry was the grave. The brothers struggle to find conversation as Charlie places an order for a rental car so they can drive to the address Mike texted them, some Chinese restaurant in town. It was strange they didn't have to look at the map app on their phone. It was as if they had lived here all their life and could drive to their location from pure instinct.

"Daxton," Charlie finally breaks the silence anxiously. His knuckles were tense from the grip he had on the steering wheel. "If you keep fiddling with the radio, I'm buying you a ticket back to California and telling Tabs to kick your ass."