𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝟏𝟗. gotta leave before you get left.

GOTTA LEAVE BEFORE YOU GET LEFT.

▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅

DEAD BOY (book one)

DEAD BOY (book one).
°•        CHAPTER NINETEEN        •°

"        WE DON'T OWE SHIT TO DERRY.       "

▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅

IT DOESN'T TAKE MUCH FOR DAXTON TO GET FULL AND LEAN BACK WITH OCCASIONAL SIPS OF HIS COLD WATER. He can't believe he's never had friends like this in his adulthood, ones who understood him, joked like this, wanted him around. They were what made up most of the childhood he couldn't remember. Daxton feels as if nothing has changed despite the time that has passed, not even what he felt for them. There was just so much of it, and it's crazy. He barely remembered the memories they've shared together after twenty-seven years, and yet, he still was able to hold so much love for the seven of them excluding his brother.

"I got to say, I'm curious, though," Mike announces his thoughts with his eyes locked on the brothers. Daxton scans his gaze over to him. "You two were the last to leave before me - what were you up to all these years?" His dark eyes light up with curiosity that drags the brothers in when it's shone towards them. "I know you talked about going to Bootcamp for recruit training, but - "

"We did, eventually. They taught us war faces, then off we went." There's a faraway look in Charlie's expression after his words as he clasps his hands over his glass, and Daxton understands it.

You don't just forget what they taught you in the military.

"Wait, you were in the military?" Beverly cuts in with her eyebrows drawn together.

It's crazy how a single word can still bring a chill to Daxton's spine, but he's learned how to cover a shudder before anyone could notice. He lets out a dry chuckle and avoids Mike's empathetic gaze before answering, "Why the fuck do you think I took up drinking?"

"You both came home, even after everything. That takes a lot of strength," Mike says gently.

That's because you guys have always been my home, Daxton thinks. He didn't need strength or bravery to bring him back to Derry. He just needed the Losers.

"Oh, shit, speaking of home - what about the others?" Richie questioned. Daxton doesn't know what he means until, "Like - uh, shit - Lia? Harley?"

"Haley," Charlie corrects with a fond smile. It's the first time Daxton saw him actually smile at Richie. It's probably due to the talk of their other siblings, whom they were still in touch with almost every day. "They're doing great. Lia has some kids of her own and teaches at a university. Haley's a musician."