Chapter 1

"What do you want for your birthday this year, __________?"

I sighed. I hadn't really thought about what I wanted yet... "I can't think about that, Mom... I'm going to be a Pokémon trainer! Finally," I replied with an irritated huff.

Mom chuckled. "Better late than never. You know, I wasn't a Pokémon trainer until I was twenty. That was one of the most life-changing days of my life..." Her eyes were sparkling. "I remember distinctly as soon as I saw that beautiful Snubbull I..." Snubbull, hearing her name, rubbed against Mom's leg affectionately, letting out a sweet cry.

I cut in, "Uh, that's great, Mom, but I told Green I was going to go hang out with him and our new neighbor," I said as I headed out the front door. 

"Oh, right," she said, "I heard his family is from Johto, too, so maybe you'll have something to talk about!"

I walked to Green's house. His mom told me he was in his room with the new kid that recently moved in and they were hanging out. This is a good chance to meet him, I thought, excited and a bit nervous. I hadn't seen this kid, in fact, the only thing I knew about him was that he was (age) and a newbie trainer, like me. I went in Green's bedroom and they were playing Double Dash on Green's GameCube. Green was sitting with his legs crossed, and his golden brown hair was messed up, as usual. That style had started out as his laziness, leaving it to grow as it pleased but by now it was a deliberate style. The new kid was sitting likewise, and his hair was only slightly neater, poking out from under a hat.

"Ooh, Mario Kart, can I play?" I startled the new guy, but Green, who was used to me barging in all the time, used the distraction to his advantage and won the race. The boy turned around, wearing an annoyed look, and stood up, approaching me. He adjusted his hat and extended a hand.

"Hey, I'm Red. My family just moved in across the street. You're __________?" I nodded as I shook his hand. "Cool, Green's told me a little about you." I gave Green a dubious glance. Red chuckled and said, "Don't worry, nothing bad. And also, that you're going to be a new Pokémon trainer, like me."

"Yup," I nodded again.

"Hey, how about Mario Kart?" Green said impatiently, gesturing toward the TV.

Red returned to his sitting position, and as I plugged in Green's third controller he set up the race. After a few hours of playing, Green checked his watch.

"Oh, it's almost dinnertime, you guys should probably leave. See ya." Green sent us downstairs and out the door.

"'Bye, Red, nice to meet you," I called as each of us went toward our houses.

"Hey, the pleasure was mine!" he said in a friendly tone. "See ya later!"

I went inside, and was greeted by Snubbull Tackling me. "Agh! Mom, Snubbull is attacking me again!"

Mom seemed to be amused. "Oh, honey, don't worry. I've been giving her Kelpsy Berries. So, it won't be like last time," she chuckled. Mom was always spoiling Snubbull. She was taking dinner out of the oven. "So, you were at Green's for a pretty long time. What were you guys doing?"

"Playing video games with that new kid that just moved in."

"Oh, that sounds fun." She began serving dinner.

After dinner, it was already time for bed, so I went upstairs and settled into bed, and quickly fell asleep.

●・○・●・○・●・○・●・○・●

The next morning, I got up earlier than usual, dressing in some lounge wear. When I went downstairs, Mom was reading a book, and I wandered back upstairs, preparing to play some video games. Right as the level was about to start, I heard a knock at the door. Curious, I went downstairs to see who it was before Mom could answer.