Chapter 6

"Fwahahaha! A mere child like you dares to challenge me? The very idea makes me shiver with mirth! Very well, I shall show you true terror as a ninja master! Poison brings steady doom. Sleep renders foes helpless. Despair to the creeping horror of Poison-type Pokémon!"

I gulped, then took a deep breath. "Go, Nidoqueen!" I threw out her Pokéball.

"Nidoqueen!" She sang triumphantly. I was bubbling with excitement. This was going to be the first big battle since I had evolved Nidorina with a Moon Stone.

Koga sent out a Koffing.

"Darn..." I muttered under my breath. Nidoqueen's Earthquake that would otherwise be super-effective wouldn't work on Koga's levitating Koffing.

"Nidoqueen, return!" I commanded and sent out Magneton.

"Koffing, use Sludge!"

"Magneton, use Spark!"

"Use Toxic!"

"Dodge it! Hit 'em with another Spark!"

"Nice!" Green spectated. "Knocked 'em out in two hits!"

Koga sent out another Koffing and it was defeated in the same manner.

"Go, Muk!" Koga sent out the large purple mass of goo.

"Okay, then, go, Nidoqueen!" I said as I returned Magneton to its Pokéball.

"Use Acid Armor!" Koga's Muk did so.

"Nidoqueen, use Earthquake!"

The entire gym shook and Muk was instantly KO'd.

"Woohoo!" Red called out from where he and Green were watching.

Koga then sent out his last Pokémon: Weezing.

I gulped. Weezing had the Levitate ability.

"Magneton!" I sent out the Electric-Steel Pokémon.

"Weezing! Use Toxic!"

"Magne..." Magneton cried out weakly.

"Uh-oh..." I reached into my bag to grab an Antidote, but it seemed I had run out and had forgotten to restock at the Pokémart. "Use Spark, Magneton!"

We managed to get the Weezing's HP down to about half until Magneton finally fainted.

"Well, at least it's not poisoned anymore!" Green yelled.

I rolled my eyes and selected my next Pokémon. "Go, Dodrio!"

"Use Sludge, Weezing!"

"Aw, man!" Not only did this inflict a lot of damage, but it had poisoned Dodrio as well. He was down in one turn.

"Hmm... Go, Umbreon!"

"Breon!" His cry was intense, as if he wanted me to know that he was ready for battle.

"Use Smokescreen!" the leader's voice boomed.

"Umbreon?" Umbreon looked around. He couldn't see the Weezing through the thick smoke that the opposing Pokémon had expelled.

"It's alright, Umbreon, use Faint Attack!" I commanded.

Umbreon used the never-missing attack and landed a critical hit.

"Yay! Good job Umbreon!" I patted my partner's head.

"Humph! You have proven your worth! Here! Take the Soul Badge!"

"Thanks!" I said, beaming, as I took the badge from the gym leader.

"Now that you have the Soul Badge, the Defense of your Pokémon rises. It also lets you Surf outside of battle."