→ one

Klaus had no idea what he was doing or how to be a father. All he knew was what his father had been. He was abusive, rash, and angry all the time. Klaus was determined not to be anything like Mikael so he tried to do better.

He compelled a midwife down in the village to help raise Angel the correct way. She taught Klaus everything there was to know about raising a child. Soon, Klaus knew how to change diapers, feed the baby on his own, and what foods babies could and couldn't eat.

When the midwife had served her purpose, Klause found himself compelling her to forget about Angel and to live the rest of her life in peace. For the first time in centuries, Klaus didn't feel like killing an innocent human being because that's what Angel was. She was weak and innocent but Klaus no longer minded spending his time with what he used to call a mere human. 

His chest swelled with joy at Angel's first words, her first steps, and anything new she learned. Klaus found Angel was a quick learner as she questioned everything around her, including Klaus. She asked him why he could run so fast or why people who visited the mansion always did what Klaus had told them to, no matter how ridiculous his request. Despite being raised secluded from the outside world, Angel knew these weren't natural things. 

When Klaus realized he could no longer keep Angel in the dark, he told her stories. Klaus would always remember the way Angel's eye widened in awe as he described the supernatural world they lived in. Her favorite creature would always remain the witches despite Klaus trying to persuade her otherwise. To him, werewolves would always remain the greatest creature but he never told Angel why even when she begged him for his reason. She had always assumed vampires would be his favorite considering he was a vampire himself.

With the information of the supernatural locked inside her brain, Klaus knew he had to teach her to protect herself. He hoped to be there to protect her forever but he never wanted to be the reason Angel ended up dead one day. They didn't start until Angel was eight years old, despite her pleas and protests that she wasn't too young to start.

Angel enjoyed their training sessions, too young to truly understand the danger she was in but Klaus remained relieved about her naiveness as he hoped it meant she'd stay innocent for much longer. Klaus made sure Angel knew how to drive a stake into a vampire's heart or to use vervain to her advantage. He taught her the weaknesses and strengths of vampires, werewolves, and witches until she knew it like the back of her hand.

When they weren't training, Klaus made sure to educate her. Angel was always curious about the world and Klaus made sure to show her. She studied other countries' languages, their literature, and the way they dressed until Klaus forced them to stop and take a break. 

It was always more of a struggle to teach science and math to the young girl, who always found it boring compared to the many wonders of the world. Often Klaus would have to bribe her with a trip to the village or the promise of a gift on his next trip for her to sit down and attempt to pay attention to his lessons. Even through her complaining and moping, Angel would be eternally grateful for all Klaus did for her even if she didn't appreciate it at the moment.

The very first time Angel called him dad, Klause felt tears prickle at the corner of his eyes. She had apologized immediately as she became embarrassed, thinking she had crossed the line by referring to the man who had raised her as such. It wasn't until Klaus hugged her and whispered that he loved her that Angel found herself crying as well. Ever since that day, she always called Klaus her dad.

Klaus soon forgot about his siblings daggered away as his time was consumed by taking care of Angel and raising her right. He spent all his energy trying to do right by her and avoid ending up like his father at any cost. The truth was, Klaus no longer wanted to undagger his family for he knew there was no telling how his family would ruin his little Angel.

But as Angel grew older and Klaus watched her flourish into a beautiful young woman, he knew it would only be a matter of time before his siblings would have to meet the light of his life.