10. Back From the Dead

Third-person POV (Limited)

Teresa continued to tremble with sobs, the muscles in her stomach tightening from her short, blunt breaths. Her tears stained anything it came in contact with as she carefully covered Ava's face with her coat.

She attempted to cover her mouth with her bloody hand, but it was futile. She pushed off her knees and slowly rose, holding her knees until she steadied herself.

She briefly closed her eyes.

'Please just be a horrible nightmare,' Teresa thought, lips trembling more. 'Please, someone wake me up!'

She opened them and took a deep breath, heading over to Aaron. Her lip rung with alarm as she bit them, silencing herself so she could listen to her surroundings.

Her head swiveled in any direction except Aaron's body as she reached for the necklace, her jaw clenching as bile repeatedly rose and fell in her stomach. Once she got it, she quickly moved away.

Teresa coughed and gagged before taking several breaths. She grabbed a flashlight and started towards the display case of the necklace,  unable to freeze her tears.

She continuously shivered, whether it be from the dropping temperature,  her tears or fear—she didn't know.

Teresa hugged herself as she made her way down the dark hallway, her cries growing louder as she grew closer. She didn't want to do it alone. She didn't want to keep going.

She stopped and leaned against the wall, lightly hitting her head against it. Her brain went ablaze, setting her entire body on fire. She weakly shook her head, slowly but gradually slipping onto the floor.

Her cheek rested against the cool floor, sending goosebumps over her.

She didn't want to do it, but who would? Her dead bestfriend? Her classmates?

Who?

Her.

She had to do it. She had to avenge them.

She had to give them justice.

Teresa laid on the floor for several minutes before peeling herself off and, with newfound motivation,  headed to the display case. There she stood, merely two feet from it, and there it rested.

She found herself staring at it, now standing in front of it. Her eyes glazed over. Teresa looked down at the necklace, more tears staining her hands.

"I-I'm sorry." She whispered as images of everyone who innocently died filled her head.

"I'm so sorry."

Teresa used her shirt to wipe her eyes. She inhaled a shaky breath then nodded. As she hovered over the case, about to drop the necklace inside, a shadow loomed over her.

The hairs on her neck went high as she sensed the presence, deducting that it was none other than Blair.

She slowly turned around and gasped as Blair was grilling her down with shiny, black eyes. She yelped when her throat was immediately crushed. Her eyes bulged as her feet were lifting off the ground inch by inch.

"Stupid girl." Blair hissed through clenched, decaying teeth. "You should've just accepted your fate. "

Teresa gasped for air, clutching the grisly hand around her throat. She screamed when she was flung into the marble wall. Her face lit up then scrunched when her back came in contact with the sturdy wall.

She coughed while laying limp on the floor,  unable to move without sending a wave of fire up her spine. She swallowed thick, releasing short breaths as Blair began to stalk towards her.

This was it.

She was the last victim.

She would never survive the night, never tell her story...not like she'll ever be the same 'her' again.

Teresa panted as she leaned her back against the wall, staring Blair right in the eyes. No matter how painful what was to come could be she wouldn't yield. Her brows furrowed as her lips went tight.

Despite not wishing to die, Teresa had accepted her fate.

Blair glared at her then shrieked as she lunged at Teresa, causing her to instinctively close her eyes. They flew open when Blair's presence suddenly disappeared.

Teresa looked around but it didn't take long for her eyes to lock on Blair and someone else. Teresa gasped and pushed herself to her feet,  snatching the necklace up.

She looked at Ava, her shivering over Blair as she sparkled her with holy water. Ava stumbled on her numbing feet, blood covering most of her skin.

"Do it!" She forced through her bloody lips, falling heavily on the wall. "Do it now!"

Teresa quickly ran to the case just as Blair got up, backhanding Ava. She grunted and freely crashed onto the floor. Teresa didn't look over and dropped the necklace inside, swiftly clamping the lid shut.

She flew back then covered her ears as Blair released a shrill, light breaking through her body. Teresa winced and turned away as Blair exploded into a ball of light then nothing.

A moment of silence passed, then she looked over.

'It's over.' Teresa thinks as she looks around, the flashlight's beam hitting every corner.

She looked up as the thick air became easier to breathe,  the weight on her shoulders lifted.

Her eyes land on Ava's unmoving body.  She rushed over and moved her onto her back. Teresa instantly hugged her body, holding back her tears.

Ava smiled softly, a tear slipping from her eyes as she stared at the ceiling. Teresa fought her tears as Ava went limp in her hold, her body heavier than a log.

She heard it—Ava's last exhale before she succumbed to her wounds, for good. This time she didn't feel so alone.

Her skull was throbbing excessively from her swollen brain, her shattered ribs puncturing her heart and arteries more. 

This time she closed her eyes too, succumbing to the darkness around her.