Chapter 19 Knock Knock Knock On the Gates of Hell

"Rian, what about Theo?" asked Sabrina, watching her little brother fuss around the portal

"We have no way of finding him unless of course, we leave the bunker. Its protection isn't absolute and it comes with a price. We are completely cloaked from the world, but so is the world cloaked from us. We can't risk going out right now. Without having an idea what Heaven is up to."

Sabrina and Josie nodded at his logic, but they were still worried about their friend.

"Is it ready?" asked Michael, standing together with Lucifer, who was saying goodbye to Mazikeen and tasking her with taking care of everyone.

"Almost. Just left to say magic words. Why you guys look like you're ready to go to war?" asked Rian, suspiciously.

"We're coming with you," informed him his dad, as matter-of-factly.

"Dad, it's dangerous. What if you get hurt?" asked Rian, trying to help him see the reason.

"You don't know me very well if you think I'm letting you go alone," snorted Lucifer, looking at him, his mind made up.

"I'm not leaving you alone either, Rian. We're flock. Flock sticks together," told him, Michael, his words warming Rian's heart. Lucifer looked startled at his son and brother. They formed a flock? when?

Flashback

"How was it? in heaven?" asked Rian his uncle. Jack was sound asleep, tucked away in Rian's and Michael's wings. "From what other people made obvious to us, it's not very nice to people like... me."

Michael looked at him peculiarly but shook his head fondly. "You will always be welcome there, nephew, as long as I have any say in it," Rian shot him a brilliant smile. "It is... was beautiful. When there were just us. Archangels. I remember playing with my little brothers and teaching them. When our father created lesser angels, our family got divided into flocks."

"Flocks?" asked Rian, unfamiliar with the term.

"Imagine heaven as the house of every angel. While flocks were like homes within the house. Angels who got along great were grouped together, to make a nest - a sleeping space for their flock. The flock had an alpha, like a leader. Who takes care of his flock members."

"Uncle Mikey?" 

"Mhmm?"

"Are we a flock?" Rian's question took Michael by surprise. Soon, a hopeful smile overcame his features. 

"If you want to, nephew. I'd be honored to form a flock with you," Michael reached out and patted Rian's hair, who leaned into the touch, enjoying the affection.

"I'd love to, uncle," smiled Rian, closing his eyes in content and drifting to sleep.

"It's gonna be okay, Ry. Sabrina and I make sure everything's fine," hugged him, Josie.