Chapter Three

"Ah~ I forgot my sunscreen! I'm gonna tan!"

"Tan or burn to a crisp?"

"Maryanne!"

Tori and Maryanne were seated in front of me, the later teasing the former. Tori held a bottle of shampoo in her hand. I assumed she must've picked up the wrong bottle. It wasn't like her. She would never forget her necessities, far less pick the wrong one. It was confusing.

The room was full of chatter. Everyone was talking to someone, but no one was talking to me. Why? There's only six of us here. Maybe because I was wearing earphones, but I don't remember putting them in. Was I listening to music? I couldn't hear it. All I could hear was the lively conversations between the five girls.

Why were they ignoring me? I'm right here.

Tori then opened the bottle of shampoo and sniffed it. She also had a weird habit of doing that.

"Hey, this shampoo tastes funny."

"Really? What flavour is it?" Takamina asked coming closer. They began reading the ingredients. They were right in front of me, but I couldn't read the label. Was there anything written on the bottle at all?

Why were they reading an empty bottle? Where did Maryanne disappear to? The room felt empty like someone was missing. Who? Someone was supposed to be here but isn't. Why is that? I couldn't remember who at all. I felt my face scrunch up , my hair tickling my neck. Something felt wrong but nothing looks wrong. Maybe I was over exaggerating. Maybe I was just being overly paranoid. Nothing was happening. Everything is alright. Everything is fine.

"Guys, guys look at this."

Yuki. That was Yuki's voice. She was gesturing for us to come over. I couldn't move. I couldn't move from my spot, like I was glued here. Why? What was happening?

Takamina and Tori walked over to her and they started laughing. Tori went back to her bag to grab something. It was a video camera. She always carried it with her. She wanted to be a film director when she left school.

I heard the three of them laughing and making funny comments. What was going on? What were they recording? Why were they laughing?

A gap formed between Takamina and Yuki. Kojiharu was sleeping on a beach and her face was doodled, no doubt by Yuki. Why did this feel familiar like it happened before? Was this déjà vu? Kojima had so many doodles on her face. One was windy like a road, but the rest were just random lines and letters. Honestly, how could Yuki be so mischievous?

But something felt wrong.

I was there, I was right there with them, but it didn't feel real, if... that made any sense. It felt as if I was watching a movie, I was simply watching the events of life unfold without having an active role. Why? What was happening? It's like they don't even see me. It's like I'm not even there but I am  there. I'm right here!

"What are y'all doing to the poor girl?"

"Maryanne-sama!"

Maryanne cane back and she didn't look too pleased with the others. She was scolding the three girls, but she ignored me, it was like I wasn't even there but this... Feels familiar why? Why did this feel so familiar? What was happening?

"Go get changed. I'm not wasting precious daylight inside because of you lot." Maryanne scolded them, crossing her arms.

"Yay! Beach time!"

Beach? The beach. I... Remember about the beach. We were supposed to go there. Looking around the room it's amazing how I didn't see it there before. All our beach bags were there. Maryanne had her surfboard and Yuki brought a sack of volleyballs. I'm not why on the later.

We were supposed to be going to the beach, but I don't remember this. This memory? Did it happen? It feels real so it probably did but why can't I remember?

Maeda

Maeda

Maeda

Maeda

"Maeda! Wake up!"

That was Takamina's voice. She...saw me. She was looking at me, hands on my shoulder and I was just staring at her. Why? Why couldn't I speak?

"You have a bad habit of napping everywhere, you know that?"

Yes, it was true. I admit it but I wasn't sleeping. I was awake, wide awake. But that jump from I felt...maybe I was sleeping. Takamina held one side of her earphones, the other side was in my ear. Maybe I was sleeping and listening to music, but it made no sense. I was awake. I heard and saw everything they were doing. I was wake....

"Come on, we have to go."

Yes, go. Go, going, to go someplace. Where? I don't remember... Why? It felt like I've never arrived at the place we were supposed to go. Why? Where were we supposed to go? I remember having to go. I remember leaving to go but arriving? I don't remember. Why? Why can't I remember? Why am I talking in circles? What was wrong with me?

"Come on, Maeda!"

She grabbed me by my wrist and dragged me off my bench towards the center aisle where everyone else was. Why? What was going on?

Takamina has never called me by my last name.

Once again, I was motionless. I was standing, meaning against one of lockers. This place almost resembled the Girl's changing room at school. Why? I don't remember stopping here, but this memory feels familiar. Why?

"Guys! Guys, look! A puppy!"

A puppy? I looked down at the young Labrador Retriever and the rush I felt...

Flashes of blue and red. Water. The feeling of being trapped. Red. The sound of screeching tires.

I heard the girls behind me screaming as the dog ran behind them, barking. I tried to run too but I couldn't. I couldn't... Reach them. The more I ran, the faster I ran, the further they got.

Everywhere started to lose its colour and the familiar chill of fog began to surround me. The sound of the girls screaming faded away and once again I'm alone. Why?

"Maeda."

I turned around and Maryanne was there. She was standing behind me, her face in its usual poker expression. I sighed in relief. Finally, a familiar face.

"Maeda."

Why was she repeating my name? Is she okay? What was-

"Maeda. You cannot follow us."