O N E

Fitz P.O.V.

I haven't come out of my room for three days. At least my mom has been understanding and is sending whatever I need up to my room. I still can't believe that Keefe would join the Neverseen. He could be killed, and we would have no way to know about it. The worst part is, it's all my fault.

He had told me about his crush on Sophie only about a month after he met her. I was fine with it. Back then, Sophie was like a little sister to me. But when I realized that we could become Cognates in Alluveterre, I finally admitted to myself that I liked her, too. The problem is, I couldn't talk to Keefe because I knew that he liked her. I think Biana knows about my crush, but she understands that I'm not ready to talk about it with her.

Apparently Keefe heard me sleep talking. I was dreaming about asking Sophie out, and he heard me admit that I liked her. He confronted me about it and it escalated into a full blown argument. I feel so awful about it, because the last thing I said to him was, "The only reason I didn't tell you is because I felt sorry for you! You'll never have a chance with Sophie. Not with your parents being who they are." He had turned and ran out of the room. That was the last time any of us except Sophie talked to him. I didn't mean any of it. I become such a horrible person when I'm upset.

For the past three days, I've just been thinking about all of this. I sigh and run my hand through my hair. I know what I need to do. I need to tell Sophie what happened. I need to tell her everything.

~Time skip~ (I know, I suck. Sorry. 😬)

The next morning, I get ready for Foxfire. Biana says that everyone else has been going while I've been gone. I don't know what I'm going to tell them. Oh well, I'll think of something. I decide to have a blitzenberry muffin for breakfast, then step into the Leapmaster with Biana.

"Foxfire!" she shouts. When we get there, she turns to me. "I'm glad you came today. You should probably talk to Sophie, she seems really upset about all of this." I can see that, even though she is trying to act casual, she is clearly upset too. I look hard and can see that she is wearing makeup to hide the bags under her eyes. I give her a hug. "It's going to be ok, Biana. Don't worry," I say, not really believing my words, but knowing that she needs to hear it. "Thanks, Fitz," she sighs. "I need to go, I have Elementalism with Dex. See you at lunch!" She dashes away, vanishing on every other step. I laugh, knowing about her crush on him. Everyone expects me to be an overprotective older brother, but I actually think that Dex is great for her. We became friends in Alluvettere, and he's actually really nice.

I check my schedule. Elvin History. I groan. "Fitz? You ok?" I hear from behind me. My face breaks open into a smile. "Sophie!" I exclaim. She isn't wearing makeup, and I can see the bags under her eyes perfectly. She still looks beautiful though. "Yeah, I just have Elvin History. Great way to start my first day back," I say sarcastically. She laughs. "At least you don't have Lady Cadence. She thinks that since I can't mimick, I'm a failure of a polyglot." She rolls her eyes. "Maybe I can ask Keefe for-" She breaks off the sentence awkwardly. I turn away, wiping a tear from the corner of my eye. "I'm sorry," she says, grabbing my hand. I turn to face her. "Listen, Sophie, can I tell you something?" The end of my sentence is drowned out by the chiming of the bells, signaling 5 minutes till our first class.

"Shit!" Sophie says. "I have to go all the way to the Silver Tower. I'll catch you later, ok?" Without waiting for me to reply, she ran toward the stairs. Missing the feel of her hand in mine, I walk to Elvin History alone.

Hope you liked it! It's not great right now, but don't worry, it gets better! Also Happy National Pistachio Day! 

Xoxo, Isabella