F O U R

Lack of inspiration, I'm sorry. I NEED INSPIRATION! Plus, it's 11 30 PM and I'm tired.

Fitz P.O.V.

As Sophie and I rush to telepathy, I sigh. She is so oblivious. That's part of why I like her though. I just wish there was a way for her to understand that I liked her without me outright telling her. I know that I need to man (elf? IDK.) up and tell her, but I'll admit it. I'm scared. What if she doesn't like me back? What if she laughs at me? Worse, what if she likes Keefe? I will tell her, but not yet. Not yet.

"Fitz? We're here." Sophie's musical voice breaks through my worrying. 

"Well, what are we waiting for?" I respond.

I push open the door and look around in confusion. Today, instead of 3 desks- one for Sophie, one for me, and one for Tiergan, there are 2 beanbag chairs touching, which are next to a cot that looks like it came from the Healing Center, and Tiergan sitting at his desk. Our desks are nowhere to be found. 

Sophie speaks up. "What are we doing now that Fitz is back?"

Tiergan smiles kindly. "I figured we could do something special. In about 5 minutes, another Telepath, my friend Cassandra, will be here. She is very talented at hiding her memories-not as much as Sophie, but no one is as good as Sophie."

Sophie blushes and looks down, but I smile at her encouragingly. 

"Your job will be to find her hidden memory using a probe. You will get one hint: the memory has to do with something gross," Tiergan finishes. "I'm going to go get her, I'll be back in 5 minutes."

I shrug. "Sounds good. If anyone can do it, it's Team Fitzphie!"

Sophie laughs and takes my hand. I search for her mind and connect right as our rings snap together. Her mind is such a whirlwind that I can barely make my way through it. She still keeps so many paths closed off from me. I still can't help but wonder what they are about.

Fitz, I'll tell you when I'm ready.

Her mental voice sounds weary.

I know, it was just an idle thought. Are you sleeping well? You sound exhausted. Is this because of Keefe?

At the word Keefe, her mind swells with confusion. 

Partially. Also, well...

I can feel her mind starting to close off. I try to be gentle with my next thoughts.

Sophie, what is it? You can trust me. We're Cognates. And more than that, you're my best friend.

She smiles at me gratefully, but I can feel some disappointment. Is it because I called her just a friend? No. She doesn't like me like that.

Thanks, Fitz. Well, I was going to say... I missed you.

I missed you too, Sophie.

I wrap her in a hug and we don't speak until Tiergan comes back in with Cassandra.